Author Topic: Meet the Filmwasters  (Read 265566 times)

jedilost1

• 35mm
Re: Meet the Filmwasters
« Reply #500 on: October 27, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »
Hey everyone, my name is Miguel Peralta and I'm a film photographer based in the NJ/NY area.

Though I'm primarily a street photographer I do also touch on fine art portraiture and landscape through the various film cameras I own

Great to meet you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #501 on: October 27, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »
Hi Miguel!
And welcome.

I was looking at your name and am wondering if you have any link to the Powell Peralta skateboard team of yore?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #502 on: November 10, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »
Just had a roll of film processed (HP5+) taken in May 2015 at "The Jugged Hare" after the London Photographica event.  I can't remember which camera I used.  Anyway, all that's irrelevant.  For those unfamiliar, left to right:

Moiz, Ed Wenn, Nick Moys, Leon and Paul Mitchell.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

emeraldcitygrain

• 35mm
« Reply #503 on: November 11, 2015, 06:50:49 AM »
A friendly hello to everyone from the Pacific NW.

I'm a fairly new member to the Filmwasters forum. But certainly not new to analog photography. I've been a film and darkroom user since the early 90s. I still adore the medium.

Great to see the enthusiasm here on Filmwasters.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #504 on: November 11, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »
hello emeraldcitygrain, nice to see a face for the photographer behind those nice bw shots from spain :)
hoping to see more from you here~
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #505 on: November 11, 2015, 10:45:34 PM »
Welcome!

Pacific NW... Washington or Oregon?
Francois

emeraldcitygrain

• 35mm
« Reply #506 on: November 12, 2015, 02:19:46 AM »
Hello jojonas and Francois.
Residing in Washington, in the Seattle area.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #507 on: November 12, 2015, 03:26:52 AM »
Just had a roll of film processed (HP5+) taken in May 2015 at "The Jugged Hare" after the London Photographica event.  I can't remember which camera I used.  Anyway, all that's irrelevant.  For those unfamiliar, left to right:

I just spit out my coffee. Is that leon with an XE-1??!!??

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #508 on: November 12, 2015, 03:52:32 AM »
Welcome emeraldcitygrain, it's nice to have another another member from the PNW on the forum, there are a few of us from the Seattle area.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #509 on: November 12, 2015, 01:40:08 PM »
Sometimes things don't quite go to plan! The Rt. Hon. Miller taken at the October 2013 Dungeness meet-up.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #510 on: November 13, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »

I just spit out my coffee. Is that leon with an XE-1??!!??

Yep. Mind you, I think Leon tends to use d*g*tal for podcast content.  That said, you'd probably struggle to find many FWers who don't use d*g*tal at least some of the time - even if it's only cameras on mobile phones. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #511 on: December 07, 2015, 05:01:44 PM »
A recent selfie with the Bronica S2a equipped with a new-to-me Nikkor-P 75/2.8. It is a window reflection, so it sort of looks like a double-exp.
Acros 100 in Caffenol-C-L x 60min.

S2a-Acros-001 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

subcolour

• 35mm
« Reply #512 on: January 09, 2016, 11:44:07 AM »
Hi all,
I'm getting back into film photography. I did a bit in a trip in asia about 10 years ago, and some digital stuff since then. I'm interested in lo fi and instant photography but I've also just bought a pentax me super with a 50mm prime lens to take some more traditional shots.

subcolour

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #513 on: January 09, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
Welcome :)
Francois

MaxR88

• 35mm
« Reply #514 on: January 17, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »
First post just to say hello.
Found the site while on the hunt for photographic information then became a bit of a lurker but then decided to join.
This is the only self portrait I have on film, strangely the first frame off the first colour roll I shot a year and a half or so back.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2016, 08:12:37 PM »
Welcome Max!

Nikon FE lover as I can see?
Francois

MaxR88

• 35mm
« Reply #516 on: January 18, 2016, 03:20:29 PM »
Thanks.
Yes its a FE-2, I inherited them (I've got 2, pictured silver one and a black one) from my Dad only a few weeks before that shot was taken. They feel nice to use and have been very reliable for me and served Dad pretty well too.  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #517 on: January 18, 2016, 09:20:26 PM »
Nikons in these days were pretty much built like tanks. Too bad it ain't the case anymore.
Francois

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #518 on: February 21, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »
Hi I'm Luke.

Here is a shot taken in 2007 in Keats Villa on the Piazza di Spagna, Rome.

Image on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:09:22 PM by lharby »
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #519 on: February 21, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
Welcome Luke!
Francois

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #520 on: February 21, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »
Just discovered this thread.

Find me...

m-09
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #521 on: February 23, 2016, 06:00:33 AM »
There's two of you, a giant and a midget. ;)
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

clagom

• Designer / illustrator / Photographer
    • claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #522 on: March 29, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »
Hello!

I just discovered this thread, I had searched for something similar to introduce myself but I missed it.
I already posted a couple of things in the "article" section, anyway, few words about me.

I'm a designer & illustrator, and I love photography. Mainly street as a genre, but I like experimenting with DIY projects and camera/lens gear.
I use analog, instant, and digital cameras, and sometimes I write short reviews.

Pinhole self-portrait
by Claudio Gomboli, on Flickr

I found this forum via the Waiwai lens hack post, and I decided to join since I saw many other great projects since then.

Thanks!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #523 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »
Welcome Claudio.  I'm sure you'll love it here.

Most of us find the weekend threads a good place to showcase some of our work.  Hope to see some of yours as and when...

Best. Paul.

clagom

• claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #524 on: March 29, 2016, 01:50:17 PM »
Thank you Paul, indeed I already like here :)

Cheers!

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #525 on: March 29, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
Welcome!

I like the spookiness of your self-portrait, especially that mannequin hand on the right side of the frame. :)
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #526 on: March 29, 2016, 03:02:35 PM »
Welcome!

clagom

• claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #527 on: March 31, 2016, 04:26:40 PM »
Thank you! :D

Aksarben

• 35mm
    • Jenewein Duduks made in America
« Reply #528 on: April 09, 2016, 03:21:27 AM »
Glad to be here.  I started out with a Kodak 126 Instamatic when I was around 8 back in 1962.  A year before that I had my picture taken by a nice gentleman at a farm sale, just down the road from where I grew up... it was a Polaroid.  He gave me the picture and I still have that B&W somewhere.

When I was in High School, a friend of mine sold me a camera he brought back from Viet Nam which was a Richo 126 Flex, a single lens reflex.  I shot a lot of pictures on it until it died.  Unusual square format, but was not bad for viewing either in slide or prints, mostly scrapbook and memory photos.

Over the years I've used a lot of different cameras, from Kodak EK-4, Zeiss Ikon (6x9), Mamiya C330, various speed and crown Graphics, a Graphic View II that I still have, Russian 6x6 slr, Pentax, Nikons, Rolliflex, Koni-Omea, and so on.

Right now I have 3 Bronica SQ-Ai camera bodies and 2 lenses, and 2 finders, so one is just a spare body.  Funny thing is I won an eBay auction for the one body at $27.00 and was interested in the viewing screen.  It looked nice, but the camera was listed as inoperative.  Well, it's far from inoperative and works better than the other 2 bodies.  There is not a thing wrong with the body in working, so that was a good deal.

I also have Polaroid 320 and 450 Pro pack film camera, and amazed as to what Fuji does with their peel apart films.  A Spectra and 2 Minolta Instant Pro cameras that use the newer Impossible Project films. Also 2 Fujifilm Instax wide cameras, a 500AF and a newer 300.  They do a remarkable job in instant for their colors and definitions.  Too bad Fuji is discontinuing their FP-100c film as it was truly a great instant film.  Nice that I could not worry about the length of time I needed before peeling, as LONG as it was more than 2 minutes.

Anyway, this is me.  Winemaker, photographer, and interested in a lot of other things, but for here, it is photography. 

Sisters   Daughters Amanda and Samantha.  Shot with a Graphic View II with 210mm Schneider Symmar-S lens on Polaroid 55 PN instant film.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:25:54 AM by Aksarben »
I was born with nothing and have manged to keep most of it.

Vern

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #529 on: April 09, 2016, 03:49:57 AM »
Welcome!

I agree with every single think you say about the Fuji instant emulsions, both the peel-apart (I'm totally gutted that it's going away!) and the Instax. The colors always impress me.

Winemaker, eh? Eeenteresting ;) What kinds?
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Aksarben

• 35mm
« Reply #530 on: April 09, 2016, 04:17:27 AM »
Quote from: limr on Today at 10:49:57 PM
<blockquote>Welcome!

I agree with every single think you say about the Fuji instant emulsions, both the peel-apart (I'm totally gutted that it's going away!) and the Instax. The colors always impress me.

</blockquote>

Thanks for the welcome!!

I work for Fenn Valley Vineyards, near Fennville, MI.  I've been there since 1999 in the capacity of Assoc. Winemaker.  We make a lot of different wines, from Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Meritage (blend of Cabernet sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet franc)  as well as Moscato, Cranberry, Spiced Peach and Honey and even Vidal Icewine.  We have a range from pretty much bone dry to very sweet like the Icewine or Late Harvest Vignoles.  Now we have recently started making ciders for us and for other winery/cider orders.  We have wine by the glass, by the bottle, or bulk. Same with the cider, and it is on tap.  I bring home a small bottle every couple of days to enjoy.  My special blend of our dry cider, with additional Apple Concentrate (gives it more apple flavor/character) and a touch of sugar to offset the crisp malic acid taste.

I actually started making wine in High School in my bedroom back in 1971.  Easy enough to make, and I did not need any ID for buying grape juice and yeast.  Mom already had some sugar.

Well, somehow editing removed the "quote" html coding.. oh well...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:24:28 AM by Aksarben »

Vern

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #531 on: April 09, 2016, 04:20:57 AM »
Welcome Aksarben, I also started on an Instamatic, I still have it and it still works.  I wonder how many of us started out on one?  I also drink wine.

Aksarben

• 35mm
« Reply #532 on: April 09, 2016, 04:34:24 AM »
Welcome Aksarben, I also started on an Instamatic, I still have it and it still works.  I wonder how many of us started out on one?  I also drink wine.

Thanks for the welcome!
I got the Instamatic 126 when Mom won a contest at the local town for 100.00 in town merchandise and she got me the camera for not much money in those times.  All the time growing up she took pictures of me with her Kodak Hawkeye Brownie, that took 620 film and sent it off to Scruttland Photo in Wisconsin or Illinois for developing and printing.  They sent here a fresh roll of film back along with prints and negatives.  Funny how those cameras, Instamatic and Hawkeye were single focal lenses (as in NO focus control)simple single speed shutters, no aperture control,  and we still took lasting memories with them.

Vern

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #533 on: April 09, 2016, 12:41:09 PM »
Welcome, Aksarben.

Beautiful portrait.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #534 on: April 09, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »
Welcome :)
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #535 on: April 10, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
Welcome Vern.

I suspect you're not alone liking wine and Fuji instant film.  I'm sure you'll love it around here.  Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Paul.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #536 on: April 11, 2016, 02:09:03 AM »
Quote from: limr on Today at 10:49:57 PM
<blockquote>Welcome!

</blockquote>

Thanks for the welcome!!

I work for Fenn Valley Vineyards, near Fennville, MI.  I've been there since 1999 in the capacity of Assoc. Winemaker.  We make a lot of different wines, from Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Meritage (blend of Cabernet sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet franc)  as well as Moscato, Cranberry, Spiced Peach and Honey and even Vidal Icewine.  We have a range from pretty much bone dry to very sweet like the Icewine or Late Harvest Vignoles.  Now we have recently started making ciders for us and for other winery/cider orders.  We have wine by the glass, by the bottle, or bulk. Same with the cider, and it is on tap.  I bring home a small bottle every couple of days to enjoy.  My special blend of our dry cider, with additional Apple Concentrate (gives it more apple flavor/character) and a touch of sugar to offset the crisp malic acid taste.

I actually started making wine in High School in my bedroom back in 1971.  Easy enough to make, and I did not need any ID for buying grape juice and yeast.  Mom already had some sugar.

Well, somehow editing removed the "quote" html coding.. oh well...

That dry cider sounds lovely!
Leonore

Aksarben

• 35mm
« Reply #537 on: April 12, 2016, 02:11:33 AM »
Cider is pretty tasty alright.  Bring some home every now and then.  I cannot drink too much wine/cider/beer, not even a full bottle of beer without issues now.  Medicines I take for high blood pressure and some type 2 diabetes causes a real nasty headache about 2-3 hours after a single beer.  So, I drink small portions. :)

Thanks all for the comment on the Sisters picture.  It almost turned out a mistake as I overexposed the picture by not stopping down when I took the picture.  The resulting positive was mostly white. But, the negative was very dark and I used a film scanner I have to load it into the computer and changed the levels on it.  Kind of like you would do with more light in the enlarger, with a very dark dense negative.  Didn't turn out so bad.

I have posted just a few things on Flickr.  On en.wikipedia I posted a picture I took with my Nikon F3 of a very rare flower in the Sandhills of Nebraska.  Only place it is found is in 2 areas of the world.  Just a few blowouts in Nebraska Sandhills and a few blowouts in Wyoming.  That's it.  It is on the Endangered species act.  Blowout Bluebell.  Here is a link on on photo.net:  http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=18184068&size=md    And this link is to one of my domains that has the picture of it and some other Nebraska scenery as well:  http://www.taurus45acp.com/gallery/index2.htm

And special THANKS to Ed Wenn  that managed to get me able to log back in here after I changed my email address.  Kudos to him!!

Vern

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #538 on: April 20, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »
Hello everybody,

I have been following the forum for some time (a couple of years or so...) gathering info here and there  :) and finally I decided to end up with my spying attitude  ;) and say hi and thank everyone here for the help. Thank you.

I started with film cameras when film cameras were the only way to get photos  8) so I am that old... My very first one was an ALPA from my granddad which I used extensively for years. Then, I do not know why, I decided to buy my own camera with my birthday savings and I bought a Yashica FX-3 2000, a fantastic camera still here with me that I was not able to obtain good results with. When digital world surfaced i promptly got a Digital Konica Minolta but results were't good. Some years later, I bought a Pentax Km (stolen) then replaced by a K20 to which I attached lots of manual lenses. This is my digital camera up to date.

It was in 2011 when I turned back to film, slowly but firmly  :) and now I can say that I am a real filmwaster (just look at my fridge where there are much more rolls than food  8) )

So here I am.

My photo, a bit blurred, taken with CineStill 50 and scanned with a Pakon F135 Plus,

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:03:11 PM by MacArron »
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #539 on: April 20, 2016, 06:10:29 PM »
Greetings Mac. Glad to see another filmwaster come out of the shadows (which of course he has metered for and exposed perfectly). :)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #540 on: April 20, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »
Hey MacArron, welcome!

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #541 on: April 20, 2016, 07:08:50 PM »
Welcome!
Leonore

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #542 on: April 20, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »
Holà MacArron :)
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #543 on: April 21, 2016, 01:01:12 PM »
Welcome aboard, Mac.

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #544 on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
Thank you all for the welcome! :)
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #545 on: July 31, 2016, 10:13:01 PM »
Long time film lover....this is a 4x5 Wet Plate collodion selfie of yours truly

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #546 on: August 16, 2016, 03:20:11 AM »
In order to keep my status as "most photographed Filmwaster", here is Peter's latest test shot. Apparently the test failed (positive-negative recovery), but luckily I got to keep the positive so I am able to scan it and present it here without his permission :P

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #547 on: December 05, 2016, 09:51:41 PM »
I was testing my new (old) Praktica, had just joined this forum and had one frame left.

I must clean that window!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #548 on: December 05, 2016, 10:13:12 PM »
Glad to meet you
Francois

Sbode

• 35mm
« Reply #549 on: December 05, 2016, 11:25:03 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk