Author Topic: The Contraption 6: Pimp my camera straps Additional info  (Read 3611 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
The Contraption 6: Pimp my camera straps Additional info
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:23:39 PM »
I just thought I should add a few bits of information I forgot to include in the podcast in case anyone wants to try their hands at the project.

For the regular straps, I also used some of those USB stick/MP3 player/ID card neckstraps that I found at the dollar store. Since the webbing is a bit easier to fray, I also stitched the ends. They had some Dora and SpongeBob ribbons but I thought it would be a tad too much...

As for the dog leash model, I forgot to say I actually made it from a dog leash I found at the dollar store. I un-stitched both ends using a stitch cutting tool. When you do that, you have to be extra careful not to cut the nylon webbing at the same time. So plenty of prying is required in order to do a good job. Once this is done, you insert the clip and make sure the webbing isn't twisted. I sewed it once, folded it over and sewed through all four layers making an X pattern in the center. This ensured that the strap was strong enough to withstand the weight of just about anything.

Here's the close-up picture I showed in the video.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:22:43 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: The Contraption 6: Pimp my camera straps Additional info
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:14:47 PM »
They do look pretty snazzy, Francois, and I could see the strap second from the left going really well with my custom branded Cheap Trick Fuji Instax mini!!

:D :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: The Contraption 6: Pimp my camera straps Additional info
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
That would work... it would also work well with a London policeman's uniform......... but it would just make it so much less fun :)

But it still is probably my favorite too (along with the flame job).
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.