Author Topic: Film developers--what are you using?  (Read 40081 times)

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Film developers--what are you using?
« on: February 27, 2006, 02:21:10 AM »
I'm addicted to Aculux 2 (thanks to Leon and D)-- but it's only available at one location in the entire country--that I can find. B&H.

I just ordered 6 liters so that should keep me for a bit at 1:19...

But wondering what other developers folks are using and for what films-- need to stretch my legs and give a few more a try.

My films of choice are usually, FP4, HP5 and Fuji Acros and I prefer a nice fine grain developer over something grainy like Rodinal.

Thinking of giving pyro a shot since I love what it does for Leon.
But I've been hesitating, since knowing me-- I'll snort a good waft of poison up.
And after all those early years of inhaling fumes in the darkroom, I have a limited amout of brain cells as it is.
Any pyro thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.

So what's your developer/film combo of choice?

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
Re: Film developers--what are you using?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 03:45:24 AM »
Can't we talk about the weather or something? I can't compute here. Seriously, I'll fly anyone here...on me..to give me lessons in the darkroom...ahem.  :P

That's funny you mention fixers and toners, etc....I'm on to a new project using the sun, pop paper and those developers this summer. Carry on...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:04:38 AM »
Generally, my developer of choice is Kodak HC-110 because it's cheap, reliable and comes in a syrup concentrate. I do all my developing in the kitchen sink so I shy away from powered mixes. D-76 power does not work well as a seasoning...  ;) I use a very diluted one shot solution called Dilution H. It comes to a ratio of 1:63. Translated, that's 7.5 mL of syrup per 120 roll in a steel tank. Now that's for the North American syrup. Kodak has a different concentrate for the Euro market which apparently is weaker than the version this side of the pond. Check this link -- http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ -- for all the permutations.

My 120 b&w films of choice are Fuji Acros, Fuji Neopan and Ilford HP5. I generally develop them for 8 min at 75F (24C). Gives me a nice fine grain. The syrup lasts forever in amber stoppered bottles. I use a children's medicine syringe that you can get from any pharmacy to draw it from the bottles, then I blow a little compressed air to displace the oxygen.

When I want heavy grain, I'll use Rodinal (I still have three bottles left). I've also used Ilford's Ilfosol. It's especially nice for use with Delta 3200. Never tried Aculux 2 but will have to give it a try.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:21:09 AM »
well - you all know I really like my catechol, BUT .... I'm going to backtrack a bit here.  I printed up some old negs the other day for an order .  They were delta 100 in ilford perceptol 1:3.  THey printed so easily, and there was no grain but everything was really sharp.  It got me thinking.  I've bought some perceptol and am going to do a few tests - I may have to give up my evangelical pyrocat support for perceptol hugging.  I'll post the results in my blog.

I've got to stress though Susan, I dont use pyro - that is nasty noxious stuff, I use pyrocatechol which really is different.  It has a similar effect but with much less grain, and is still poisonous, but then again so are virtually all photochemicals.  in solution, pyrocatechol doent give of poisonous fumes.  It will stain everything you have though - your sink, your graduates, your fingers (if you dangle them in).  Buy yourself some from the photographers formulary - they do a ready mixed liquid version and give it a go - it really is no more difficult or easy than any other developer.  I reckon you'll notice the difference with your home made lens shots - the highlight control of the catechol stain is quite something.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:28:10 AM by leon taylor »
L.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 11:00:41 AM »
Ive got quite a collection now.

In order

Calbe A09 -pre war version of rodinal, pretty much same as Rodinal

Rodinal -  lovely stuff, grainy  -good with tonic.

Aculux 2 -again hoping (in vain) that leon was a crap photogrpaher only saved my a magical potion developer.....turns out he isnt.

T-Max - dont see point to it, was doing a lot of 3200 stuff, but aculux is better for 1600 rated film, in fact rodinal does it justice as well.

leon's potion, wonderful stuff, love the control you can get with all the different stand methods. the increase in sharpness and contrast is amazing.

film wise im pretty much stuck on  the adox range, which ive heard is exactly like ilford hp5  -becuase  it is just that, re packaged! and 3200 in the bessa.    lovely stuff. 

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 04:37:20 PM »
Excellent info--thank you guys.

Leon--phew. Thanks for specifying pyrocatechol. Beleive it or not, Ilford perceptol is a hard one to get here. Seems all Ilford chems are short about.
But I'll order some up and grab some pyrocatchol at the supply later.

Love to hear what others are using...

More chems the better. :)

Thanks again.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »
I've settled on Xtol for just about everything now - it seems to work nicely with most films (APX100, Acros, and Neopan 400 are my staples), keeps for months if necessary, is non-toxic, and is very economical when used at a dilution of 1+2. I do wonder how long Kodak will keep making it though...

(Oh, and hello everyone, and thanks to Susan for pointing me here!)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »

But I'll order some up and grab some pyrocatchol at the supply later.

Get it as Pyrocat HD, or Exactol lux or Precyscol - my post was a bit misleading.  thee are three pyrocatechol based developers and all do pretty much the same job.
L.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 11:16:49 PM »
David B--a hearty welcome my friend. Great to have you here. And thanks for the Xtol info. Got some in my cabinet. Must give it a try.

Leon--thanks for the clarification. I'll get one of them straightaway. You rock

sparx

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 09:54:15 AM »
I'm still a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to chemical choice so I stick to good old Ilford products. I have on my shelf some Ilfosol for occasional use, LC29 when I've got a few rolls to do together and ID-11 for when I push stuff big time or when shooting IR.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 10:14:23 AM »
Sparx!
Welcome. Great to see you.
Thanks for the words about the chems you're using.
Great info. :)

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 10:56:45 AM »
Hello all! Thanks to Susan for pointing out this place.

I'm a sucker for Rodinal with FP4 or HP5. I love the grain and the tonality. I've still got half a bottle left so it should last me a while at 1+100 ;D. Saying that though, my last few films have been sent to a lab (small family = no time!). I tried transpacolor as they were cheap but they messed up my last roll (thankfully it was just test shots). I'll give darksidephoto a whirl next.

FrankB

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 01:46:17 PM »
Greetings to one and all, and many thanks to Leon for steering me here!

To the question in hand. I've used -

• Ilfosol S - Er, because I was starting out and it was cheap and readily available. Results were pretty okay until I compared them with...
  • DD-X - Originally purchased to soup some Delta 3200 I was using for a specific task, the inconvenient 1 litre size (enough for 16 rolls of 135) meant that I had the stub-end of a bottle to use up. A couple of rolls of later FP4+ later I was most impressed! This relationship lasted quote a while as I really liked the tonality and the fairly fine and quite soft grain. Eventually though the pain of saving film up for batch processing runs because of that flippin' 1 litre bottle size led me into a brief affair with...
  • Rodinal - The magic elixir! Cheap, lasts for decades, high acutance... ...er, we didn't get on! ;D The tonality didn't really suit me but the real kicker was the grain which (for me, anyway, your mileage may vary!) was too prominent for 135. Then Leon started whispering sweet nothings in my ear about...
  • Aculux 2 - So I thought I'd give it a try. I did. I love it. It's now my standard soup and I'm not planning on changing anytime soon. (Damn, I hate it when Leon's right! :) ).

Apart from that I've used T-Max for a couple of rolls of HIE and Technidol for a couple of rolls of Tech Pan. Not really enough use of either to form an opinion.

Susan, if I may offer one piece of advice - I love your portfolio just as it is. If you're in pursuit of something specific, then Godspeed, but please beware of change for the sake of change.

All the best,

Frank

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »
(Damn, I hate it when Leon's right! :) ).[/li]
[/list]

that'll be most of the time then ....  ;)

Frank!  good to see you here
L.

FrankB

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 02:34:25 PM »
(Damn, I hate it when Leon's right! :) ).[/li]
[/list]

that'll be most of the time then .... ;)

Annoyingly, yes!  >:( ;D

Frank! good to see you here

It's good to be seen! Again, thanks for the invite. Lovely site, especially the portfolios!

Erm, in my assorted wafflings above I see I've neglected to mention why I like Aculux 2...  :-[

Well, given my notoriously cheap nature, the low price and fairly high dilution rate doesn't hurt! The grain is fine and tight, the acutance is high... ...but above all it's the tonal separation which really works for me. All-in-all a lovely soup!

There's an example shot here http://www.flickr.com/photos/47068330@N00/105807288/ if anyone is thinking of trying it out.

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 03:04:28 PM »
Um... new here.  Where's the bathroom?

Gordon
My chopstick is really a love poem.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 03:26:36 PM »
Um... new here.  Where's the bathroom?

Gordon

welcome Elgordo - it's up the stairs, 2nd door on the right.
L.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 05:02:49 PM »
Leon just sent you to the ladies room--kidder that he is.
Second door on the right. 
A sight for sore eyes you are, Gordo.

DAVE M! Happy as a clam to see you.

Frank--honored. Thank you. Glad to hear I'm not the only one addicted to Aculux.
I'm not changing--just stretching my legs. Eager to atttempt whatever Darkroom Guru Leon and the rest of the wasters send my way.

Loving this topic. Thanks guys.

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »
Well, given my notoriously cheap nature, the low price and fairly high dilution rate doesn't hurt! The grain is fine and tight, the acutance is high... ...but above all it's the tonal separation which really works for me. All-in-all a lovely soup!

Quite a lovely example, Frank. Now I gots to get me some of this stuff for sure.

Hey, Gordo. Welcome to the club. And it's really a communal bathroom from what I hear...  ;)
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 06:08:33 PM »
This is interesting.  hiya hiya hiya!!!

I use HC110 for almost everything.  Particularly HP5 or TriX. 
I use rodinal for anything slower - FP4+, APX100, Acros.
I've used D76 for Neopan 1600 and HIE, though I think HC110 would work for both as well.

I have tried pyrocat-HD and my first roll in it was so sharp it hurt.  I have more to play with, and I think it will become my  main developer if I can swing my head around all the times, dilutions, etc.  I'd like to have one developer and be able to rely on it for everything. 

Ok. wait a minute. P.S.  Just realized I said I use HC110 for everything, then went on to list 3 more developers.  I guess I shoot mostly HP5 and TriX so that's why I was thinking that way...

Carry on- :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 06:23:15 PM by Tammy »

FrankB

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 06:14:52 PM »
And it's really a communal bathroom from what I hear...  ;)

Well, if you can call it that... Personally, I think that's a bit of a grandiose description for a hole and two bricks!

;D

ann

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 10:37:58 PM »
Pryocat hd

thanks for sending along the url for this site, leon

regards,
ann

JOhn Reeves

• Still Working
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 02:28:51 AM »
Pyrocat HD in pre-mixed bottles from Photo Formulary has been my soup since leaving Chicago. The chemistry (AND FILM!) is all mailorder in these parts.
wasting film since 2002

sparx

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 09:48:56 AM »
Well, if you can call it that... Personally, I think that's a bit of a grandiose description for a hole and two bricks!

;D

Two bricks??? Where have I just gone then?  :-[

Theresa

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 04:18:59 PM »
a lab.  how shameful is that?

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 04:38:23 PM »
not shameful at all,

But now youve taken those first brave steps in admitting the problems we can work togther to solve it.

im a total beginner when it comes to developing, but it is so worth it, not only for the cost side of things but also for the speed of it, the control you get and the total satisfaction of doing the job yourself.

make the leap!

chricela

• Black and White Film Process
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 11:39:11 PM »
Hi everyone!
Thanks Skorj, for the invite!!

I have just  about always used Tmax developer, with the exception of D-76 years back. & I'm ready to explore some others.
But as of late, i've been using Caffenol.  With really exciting results. Even on c-41 film. 
Who else or has anyone else tried caffenol?
Chricel ;D

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 10:49:40 AM »
Just to let you guys and gals know - my interest in home film development was rekindled by this thread. I decided to forgo sending to a lab and I've done 3 rolls since  (2X120 and 1 X35mm). I'm rather chuffed with the results  ;D Thanks!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 11:09:16 AM »
Just to let you guys and gals know - my interest in home film development was rekindled by this thread. I decided to forgo sending to a lab and I've done 3 rolls since  (2X120 and 1 X35mm). I'm rather chuffed with the results  ;D Thanks!

excellent!
L.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 05:48:33 PM »

Bravo!!!!
A filmwasters success story.
 :)

Rogerrr

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2006, 10:36:12 PM »
I'm having a GREAT time making my own developers from Coffee, Tea, Vitamin C, and other natural ingredients

tooooooooooo fun

Rogerrr

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2006, 11:34:55 PM »
by the way...Kodak XTOL uses Vitamin C...so it's actually not that unusual an ingredient

Tea leaves a beautiful amber-colored stain on the film...Coffee leaves a rather ugly stain

After my experiments I now have a zillion herbal pills.....developers are basically anti-oxidants, just like a lot of healthy things we eat

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 11:09:02 AM »
by the way...Kodak XTOL uses Vitamin C...so it's actually not that unusual an ingredient

Tea leaves a beautiful amber-colored stain on the film...Coffee leaves a rather ugly stain

After my experiments I now have a zillion herbal pills.....developers are basically anti-oxidants, just like a lot of healthy things we eat

roger, you're such a hippie!  ;D

Ed Sukach

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 02:34:08 PM »
Another Rodinal user here.  Currently favoring Rodinal !:200 or 1:300 and two - to - three hour "stand" development.
With the demise of Agfa, I'll probably try Zonal Pro's Gamma Plus ... I've used it before with good results .. and one of the Ilfords.
I do C-41 color as well: Tetenal "Press Pak" or CP2 (? if I remember the name correctly).

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2006, 02:40:13 PM »
Ed - how much more work is involved home c-41 development?  It always sounds liek a bit of a nightmare to me
L.

latinbob

• 35mm
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2006, 03:02:01 PM »
I've done both C-41 and E-6 (slide) developing at home in my sink using the tetenal press kit (C-41) and 3 bath kits (E-6).  C-41 to me is easier than black and white since the developing times are so much faster (approx 3 min in developer at 100 deg F). I store my mixed  chemicals in 1 liter soda bottles and put them in a water bath until the developer is 100 degrees F.  E-6 is similar, but you have to wash between chemicals, so you need running water at 100 degrees the entire time.  Neither is very hard to do though.  I had no developing experience at all when I tried these too.  It was a rush the first time I did slides and they actually turned out!

Rogerrr

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 04:26:18 PM »
I've done E-6 and C-41 too.....I just use a bucket of hot water to keep the chemicals at temp.

I don't have running water at 100 F....I just use several 1 gallon jugs for the wash steps. In the instructions they tell you to do something like a series of 30 second water washes with agitation if you don't have running water.

B&W slides are also fun...but I've learned the Bleach contains the dreaded "hexavalent chromium".....you can also use a different bleach based on potassium permanganate, but then you don't use sodium sulfite in the clearing bath ( otherwise you destroy the film..which I have done ...ooops )....

I've also experimented with Kodachrome...got pretty muddy unsaturated images..but at least I got images.
I learned about a couple basic mistakes I made with the Kodachrome, so I'm going to try again soon.

Rogerrr

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2006, 04:36:15 PM »
Oh...by the way...

if you're going to do C-41 or E-6....and you decide to use a glass aquarium as your water bath to keep your bottles of chemicals at the correct temperature....and you notice the chemical bottles tend to float around...and you decide to weigh them down with something....and you happen to have a couple one-pound spools of solder sitting next to the glass aquarium...and you think it's a great idea to use one-pound spools of solder because they fit so nicely on the bottles....and you bump a spool off one of the bottles

well....don't be surprised if the one pound spool of solder falls down, cracks the glass, and 10 gallons of water at precisely 100 degrees F pours out all over the floor in a very imprecise way.

( I now use plastic buckets in the bathtub...hot water, and plenty of room to work )

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2006, 04:42:33 PM »
Oh...by the way...

....don't be surprised if the one pound spool of solder falls down, cracks the glass, and 10 gallons of water at precisely 100 degrees F pours out all over the floor in a very imprecise way.

( I now use plastic buckets in the bathtub...hot water, and plenty of room to work )

WHOOPS  :o
L.

Rogerrr

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 05:15:08 PM »
and the film came out fine......but the rug was a bit "damp"

latinbob

• 35mm
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »
Oh My!  :o  I can't believe you finished developing the roll!  I'm glad I don't have a fish tank or I would have done the same thing.  I use a very large plastic tub as a water bath.

Rogerrr

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 08:57:53 PM »
My rule is...no matter what goes wrong...always finish the process...

you can get away with some pretty bad mistakes if you act quickly

I've made some major mistakes ( like exposing film to light while still in the developer )....but in the end I didn't notice anything wrong with the negatives

FrankB

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 09:30:02 PM »
My rule is...no matter what goes wrong...always finish the process...

you can get away with some pretty bad mistakes if you act quickly

Not quite in your league (by quite a long way!) but I dropped a plastic Paterson tank and cracked the side halfway through the dev cycle, finished the process with chems peeing all over my kitchen worktop/sink unit and had only a couple of frames fogged.

Pity my shots were so awful, really...!  ::)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2006, 11:26:59 PM »
you think that's bad!  a few years ago, I returned from a very long road trip to the Orkney islands with loads of films to develop.  I loaded up the 1st 4 rolls to develop, then proceeded to unscrew the light tight part of the paterson tank and fogged them all.  2000 miles and I effed them all up.  I'm stilll kicking myself.
L.

Rogerrr

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2006, 12:28:29 AM »
I have twice opened a tank with film in it...

once was before processing with 2 35mm rolls in the tank...I processed anyway and both rolls were totally black...but on the bottom roll you could just barely make out the image

the other time I had just finished the developer step and...Ooooops opened the tank...I quickly put the top back on, poured out the developer, and poured in the stop bath...when I was done I couldn't see anything wrong

I recently had the top to a tank crack...so I just turned out the lights and covered the tank with aluminum foil...what also helped was this was one of my experiments with "natural developers" and the developer was a thick dark soup that was pretty opaque anyway

Once in a group darkroom I read a label wrong and used "fixer remover" instead of fixer....I switched to fixer after realizing my mistake...and the film seemed fine

you gotta pick the right accidents & respond quickly!

Rogerrr

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2006, 12:37:36 AM »
While I'm divulging all my mistakes...I should add the time I was BAFFLED that my prints weren't coming out

turns out..I was trying to develop them with water

I had forgotten that I had filled all my chemical bottles with water so they wouldn't dry out & be difficult to clean...a week or two or three later I, of course, forgot this and tried to develop prints with water...after staring at a blank print I managed to figure it out

Ed Sukach

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2006, 02:35:13 PM »
C-41, in my opinion, is no more complicated than black and white.
I have found, through experience (read: making mistakes), that time and temperature control are not as critical as most believe.  I have "missed" by as much as 5 degrees Celsius, and 15 - 30 seconds in Color Development time with no appreciable effect.

Rogerrr

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2006, 03:04:16 PM »
I've had similar experience with C-41 & E-6....especially since some of the E-6 kits are made to be used at different temperatures...and also different times ( for pulling and pushing )

geordie

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2006, 06:27:28 AM »
by way of introduction...

started with almost anything in hc-110(b) when i first started out a year or two ago.
tri-x [at 200, 400, 800 or even 1600] in ilfotech DD-X is my standard these days.
tried tri-x at 800 in rodinal last week and dug it.

Rogerrr

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2006, 05:37:01 PM »
anyone ever use Microdol-X ?

I have some that I got ages ago...tempted to use it & see what it's like