Author Topic: The Gakkenflex TLR  (Read 49837 times)

mikeg

Re: The Gakkenflex TLR
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
I wind the film on half a rotation and it seems to work 98% of the time for me.

I must admit I can't really focus the thing as I rarely have my reading glasses at hand and even when I do it doesn't help much! So I guesstimate or even bracket my focusing.

Mike

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
okay i know this is an EXTREMELY OLD thread but i thought i would revive this instead of making a new one. I put together my gakkenflex ages ago and never got around to using it. i dug it out my camera tomb and completely forgot how to use it.

how many winds do i do to advance the film? is it one full rotation? also, its pretty hard to focus (for me at least) does anybody know a good way to zone focus with this? any info/tips would be much appreciated thanks.
do you have the original with the magazine? there's a guide there on how you can set up marks on the lens to know where your focus is. I can scan mine if you don't.

I tried looking in the online manual but I couldn't find that particular bit there.
http://otonanokagaku.net/english/manuals/pdf/twin_canera.pdf
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:23:34 PM by jojonas »
/jonas

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 12:00:41 AM »
I do but I don't get it at all haha if you could give me a rough explanation that would be great. I don't had a yard stick or anything to measure distance and I have no clue how mark the lens up like in the pics.

And also thanks mike!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 03:49:54 AM »
I guess I'm not understanding the focus problem.  I find the coupled image on the focusing screen to be pretty accurate.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 10:51:21 PM »
I do but I don't get it at all haha if you could give me a rough explanation that would be great. I don't had a yard stick or anything to measure distance and I have no clue how mark the lens up like in the pics.

And also thanks mike!
well basically if you can find a really contrasty subject to focus against, that'd help. I dunno if the them plate is meant to have the focus point on the top or the bottom of the top lens front or if that even matters. but I'd copy it or cut it out and then find something easy to focus against with the camera, put the template on and see if it works.

btw, what other cameras do you have? if you have an slr or anything with a rangefinder then you could use that to measure distance and compare to instead of a yard stick ;) or you might know how long you are? lie down on the floor and measure up the distance that way ;D
/jonas

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 04:47:07 AM »
Oh that a good idea using another camera. I'll do that thanks.

astrobeck

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 05:24:37 AM »
is this a snap together type kit, or do you need glue/adhesive?

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »
I don't remember much snaping, mostly screws and no glue.. not 100% sure though.

ah, yeah! you can find a guide here on how to build it. that should give you an idea :)
http://otonanokagaku.net/english/magazine/vol25/description.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:32:33 AM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2012, 10:23:44 AM »
No, it doesn't need any glue, it's just clips and one or two screws. It's actually fairly simple to put together though looks a bit daunting to start with.

I find the focussing is actually fairly accurate, given the limitations of the lens anyway. The vignetting is really heavy, but the centres in my pics are generally quite nicely in focus. I took my aperture ring out (and, er, lost it) which makes the vignetting even more extreme - but it's nice for single-subject pics and close-ups. The birdbath pic is with the ring, the coot is without.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

astrobeck

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
Thanks for the help, I've got one on the way that should be here Friday!
I'll have something cool to do this weekend!

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
I have just bought the Recessky clone & hope to assemple it this week end.  Looks like the aperture ring is surplus to requirements!

astrobeck

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2012, 04:49:58 AM »
Mine is assembled and ready for a day trip tomorrow!
It was fun, I had to do some filing of one part to make it fit, but for the most part it went together well.
Including my spaghetti break, it took 3 hours to complete.

Hope the weather cooperates tomorrow!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »
sounds great guys! I'm thrilled to hear that people are still getting these fun fun cameras~
/jonas

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
Built mine, after spending most of the day trying out a Van Nicholas Mistral,  :) ;D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)It will be mine.

Back to the camera,  it is loaded with expired TriX and I just need to persuade Mrs B to model for me so I can shoot off a roll.

f6point3

• Staying Inside My Box (Camera)
    • f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
I bought a Recesky as a Xmas present for my son, but my wife convinced me to hold off on that until his birthday, which is in October!  So for his 10th birthday, the boy will be getting this (a project that we can do together, assembling it), plus a cool "waterproof" 35mm toy camera, because he likes to play in the pool.

This thread has been very helpful with little hints, hopefully the assembly will go well.  Thanks everybody!
Pete - Corpus Christi, TX
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
The Gakkenflex TLR
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
jojonas pointed out this old thread about the gakkenflex / ressesky TLR toy cameras, and I learned some stuff reading these old posts, so I thought I would reboot this thread (for at least the second time from the looks of it) instead of drifting the World Toy Camera Day thread OT into a thread about these crazy TLR kits  :)

So my first roll was fairly successful, in that it produced images where I could recognize the subject matter  ;)

I have taken Francois's suggestion my "groundglass" a bit more frosted. I bit of a hack job but some 500 grit sandpaper and toothpaste hopefully have helped haha. I hope now that the focus is more than me guessing.

Toy TLR - 03 by dsmccrac, on Flickr

Toy TLR - 02 by dsmccrac, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:47:01 AM by mcduff »
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »
yeah, why not? Keep it in one good place :)

I think that I never put up any shots in this thread, so here's a roll:

toycamera walk with a taste of caffenol by jojonas~, on Flickr
/jonas

phh

• 35mm
    • Pei-Hua
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2014, 04:28:05 AM »
I modified this tiny TLR with Industar 69 & 61 lenses. Not perfect but it comes with interesting result:

太陽花學運
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:33:18 AM by phh »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »
wow! I love your shot~

I had two broken olympus mju cameras that I was planning to combine with a recesky tlr for a similar mod, but they got chucked in the move up north now..

either way, seeing your results makes me happy :) was it hard to fit the lenses in and get them to focus properly?

please put up more shots with this kit, okay? :)
/jonas

phh

• 35mm
    • Pei-Hua
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

Not sure about the lens diagram of Olympus mju... to do a similar mod, the lens' better be triplet or tessar based one. It's because if the unit focusing distance is not enough, still you could shift the first element outward compromising. It's exactly what I faced while modding it.  ;)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2014, 03:29:27 PM »
Wow! Talk about a smooth result... Very impressive.