Author Topic: The Gakkenflex TLR  (Read 49838 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
The Gakkenflex TLR
« on: December 03, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
the otona no kagaku diy magazine/kit have done it again. this time they've created a diy TLR(http://otonanokagaku.net/magazine/vol25/index.html). i got mine two days ago, assembled it a day ago and shot a test roll(two shots posted below). it's very cool. possibly the favourite of these kits so far.

william

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: The Gakkenflex TLR
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
Andrea, if I read Twitter correctly, Mr Nic Nicholls be selling these via his Four Corners Dark online shop. Might be worth getting in touch with him if yr having language problems.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
i guess i just still see them on ebay ocassionally. there is a stereo camera kit on ebay right now for $32.

gary--where did you end up getting one from? i made three separate orders from three different places. it took them all a week to cancel my orders and say it was "out of print".

i think the stereo pinhole kit is still in print.  at least it was still in print when issue 25 was published. issue three had some other kind of camera, and that one is out of print now.

william

i have the first camera. it's a pinhole, but it also comes with a plastic lens to make it a "real" camera.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:54:12 AM »

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:36:43 AM by Skorj »

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »

i have the first camera. it's a pinhole, but it also comes with a plastic lens to make it a "real" camera.

ah, that is indeed it! i have a kit that was put out for the taiwan and hong kong market that is licensed from gakken, i believe it's supposed to be that camera, but it doesn't look quite the same. i thought i had posted about it here a long time ago, but looking now i can't find the post.

william

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
I couldn't wait.

Took about two hours to put together including getting the shutter to work which required a bit of trimming of the plastic. A bit of trial and error in parts as well as I couldn't read the instructions but overall, not too difficult.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »
two of the springs are mislabelled in the instructions, just in case anyone is having trouble getting the springs to fit in the proper locations and can't figure it out. i hope everyone posts some test shots once they've shot 'em!

william

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 12:56:57 AM »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:14:03 AM »
i didn't find the shutter to be particularly complicated...just a bit fumbly with my big fingers. there are only 3 parts if i remember correctly.

peeling the dbl sided tape for the mirror sucked! and i'm all out of my poster tape...so that was 5 minutes worth of messing about.
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:43:03 AM »
i like the gakken mags. skorj! it has a fujipet in it, as well as a history of film and some fuji film boxes.

Yup! Yours then is really second-hand, as I read it already. Nice magazine details there too. Much enjoyable.

two of the springs are mislabelled in the instructions,

They have apologized for this I see on their web page, and added the correct labels too:

本誌86ページ「ふろくの組み立て方と使い方」の部品名称に間違いがございました。バネの名称ですが、正しくは下図の通りとなります。ここに訂正するとともに、お詫び申し上げます。

The best part to me would be using the seal templates and choosing a suitable covering for it...

http://otonanokagaku.net/magazine/vol25/pdf/vol25seal.pdf

Glad to see two have arrived safely, and I notice it has a Sport Finder and adjustable vignetting as well. Neato. Looking forward to the results. Skj.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:45:01 AM by Skorj »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 08:05:16 AM »
i didn't find the shutter to be particularly complicated...just a bit fumbly with my big fingers. there are only 3 parts if i remember correctly.

The problem I had was the pillar that the intermediate lever is on (that's the one where you have to leave the screw a bit loose) was slightly fat at the top and, as the lever lifted to get over the little step on the shutter, it would jam. I just pared off some plastic from around the top of the pillar and that fixed it.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
adjustable vignetting as well

Any chance you can translate the bit which mentions moving the aperture ring from behind to infront of the lens. The bit before it seems to be suggesting different film speeds for indoor/outdoor use but is it also suggesting the aperture should be removed?

mikeg

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday. Looks really good, haven't had time to build the camera yet. As others have said, the magazine seems to have some interesting stuff in it, just wish I could read Japanese.

I notice that the shutter does not have a B setting.  Does anyone building this think it may be possible to keep the shutter open?

Many thanks to Skorj for getting this for us and for sending it so quickly.

Cheers

Mike

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
Any chance you can translate the bit which mentions moving the aperture ring from behind to infront of the lens. The bit before it seems to be suggesting different film speeds for indoor/outdoor use but is it also suggesting the aperture should be removed?

I will try!

Normal photographs in focus can be taken by using the aperture plate in the normal position. Greater depth-of-field can be obtained by removing the aperture plate, and a  strong vignette can be obtained by installing the plate in front of the lens.

Left to right: Normal position, aperture plate removed, aperture plate in front of lens.

The section on film speed is an aperture vs. film speed guide as you would normally expect; with the aperture plate in, you can shoot ISO100 outdoors in bright sun, and while indoors you can shoot ISO400 with the aperture plate removed.

Assume this makes sense when you have the camera in front of you. がんばって! Skj。

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
I notice that the shutter does not have a B setting.  Does anyone building this think it may be possible to keep the shutter open?

I was thinking the same thing. I modded a Vivitar UW&S to keep the shutter open and it should be possible to do something with this. I'll think on it.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »
not exactly easy to just pop the aperture plate out, but nice that they thought about it.

they seem to be very open to modding and experimenting. i should send them a link about my stereo/pano mod with the chinese lens.
                                                                  - John Waters

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »
Some results.

I've posted others in this weekend's thread here.

All the pictures were taken close up. I wound the lenses out as far as they would go without them falling out which got me to within about 12 inches of the subjects. I also decided to remove the aperture disk and also the funnel shaped piece that holds the taking lens in place. The lens stays in OK without it and I thought this would give the largest aperture possible and hence minimum dof. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Only problems I had were forgetting to wind on (no double exposure interlock on this one) so I got a few double exposures and also the frame spacing is variable. I'd recommend winding on a bit extra each time if you want to be sure of not getting overlapping frames. I also forgot to allow for the parallax error which, of course, was significant as I was close to the subject.

pdewolff

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »
a short walk in my neighbourhood, the sun, the snow and the 400 film, made me do some correcting in the highlights

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
I decided to cover mine.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »
Wow Peter, this is much better than the original black plastic...

Maybe we should start a "pimped gear" thread :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
Piet, I particularly like your last two.

Did you have the aperture plate in front or behind the lens?

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »
Got mine assembled today.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hookstrapped/sets/72157623058590312/show/

Can't wait to get the roll developed!

pdewolff

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 08:04:29 AM »
Peter, the aperture plate was still in it, but after i've seen your pictures i removed it and give it another try.. :)

pdewolff

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 08:08:44 AM »
Oh, the plate was behind the lens..

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »
Mostly a lot of flare off the low sun and snow. 

Next, some close-up with the aperture plate removed...  :chinscratch:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 01:48:56 PM by hookstrapped »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
Some results.

I've posted others in this weekend's thread here.

All the pictures were taken close up. I wound the lenses out as far as they would go without them falling out which got me to within about 12 inches of the subjects. I also decided to remove the aperture disk and also the funnel shaped piece that holds the taking lens in place. The lens stays in OK without it and I thought this would give the largest aperture possible and hence minimum dof. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Only problems I had were forgetting to wind on (no double exposure interlock on this one) so I got a few double exposures and also the frame spacing is variable. I'd recommend winding on a bit extra each time if you want to be sure of not getting overlapping frames. I also forgot to allow for the parallax error which, of course, was significant as I was close to the subject.

Peter - did you shoot these with ASA 400 film?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »
Peter - did you shoot these with ASA 400 film?
They were on XP2 processed in Aculux 15 mins. This is my usual combination and I usually rate it at ISO 200. A couple of shots taken outdoors in bright sun were over exposed but most were OK.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 01:40:45 AM »
Hey, these are pretty neato! Pity I cannot find any more in the shops... The next edition is an electric guitar. Incidentally, I think a previous edition - a mini Theremin - was so popular, they reissued it. So, the same might happen with the TLR if similar demand exists. Love those covers too! Skj.

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 07:29:47 PM »
Just finished building mine. Posted a few build pics at http://cgmoyer.blogspot.com/   hope to test tomorrow

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 05:56:43 AM »
here's a youtube video on how to do long exposures on the gakkenflex. hmm, i wonder if the same thing would work with the bbf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQneSzoxu1Q

william

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 09:15:54 AM »
here's a youtube video on how to do long exposures on the gakkenflex. hmm, i wonder if the same thing would work with the bbf.

what a great little video, he made it live. I watched the whole thing and I don't even have a Gakkenflex.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
Just posted my first roll thru the Gakkenflex at http://cgmoyer.blogspot.com/2009/12/gakkenflex-test-shots.html   Wow, this is my new fave cam!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »
Just posted my first roll thru the Gakkenflex at http://cgmoyer.blogspot.com/2009/12/gakkenflex-test-shots.html   Wow, this is my new fave cam!

Nice!

pdewolff

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Yes Mark, i would like to know that too.... i'm Dutch, but not that Dutch ....

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:51 PM »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 05:43:27 AM »
OK. As long as you're sure. Thanks again for getting them anyway.

100%! Happy to see them used! Plus, I cannot keep the benefits of living in Japan all to myself... The last two sets must be popular, as out for grocery shopping I saw this line up at a local hon-ya, I went back today and the 25 (TLR), and 26 (Guitar) were gone. I noted too the non-current editions were tagged at \3250, and not \2500 as per the present issue. Such is life! Skj.

Left-to-right from Volume Nine; phonograph, telescope, kaleidoscope, hand cranked projector, doll, Theremin, fan, electric organ, electric engine, electric something, valve radio, synthesizer, TLR, electric guitar...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:47:34 AM by Skorj »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 04:33:45 PM »
I know many people would probably be suckers for most of these kits... I always wanted a Theremin  ;)
Francois

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 01:31:51 AM »
I know many people would probably be suckers for most of these kits... I always wanted a Theremin  ;)

i have the theremin. it's a bit on the squeaky side, but fun nonetheless. i was always under the impression that the price depended on what the kit contained.  alot of the kits you can find on ebay. you may also be able to find them at japanese bookstores(like kinkouyia(i can't remember how to spell it)). they all have isbn numbers so in theory you should be able to have a shop special order them for you.

william

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=theremin

If you get one - make sure you get a delay fx unit too, it makes all the difference.  Get a hurdy-gurdy too and you can go all Jimmy Page on us.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
Or simply go overboard and use it with Guitar Rig  ;D

(really nice piece of software for all who play guitar)
Francois

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 09:20:08 AM »
I notice this week, my local toycam lab has them in stock, in big numbers! Assume they're now in reprint, so start to pressure your suppliers if you want one. Good luck!

See ya! Skj.

cmdrray

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 04:08:21 AM »
Mark, How much are these at Village Vanguard? Maybe I'll pick one up while I'm in Tokyo in May.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 06:38:44 AM »
How much are these at Village Vanguard?

Grab as many as you can carry, as they're only \2530! Skj.

tinm@n

• Photobeautique
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 10:03:39 AM »
Mmmm I've been lusting after these since I saw the photos you lot posted in Dec.

I have a mate who is staying in Utsonomiya at the moment - is there anywhere I can ask him to pick some up for me ?  i.e. what kind of shop ? r Is it only available in Tokyo ?

cheers
Tim

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »
I have a mate who is staying in Utsonomiya at the moment - is there anywhere I can ask him to pick some up for me ?  i.e. what kind of shop ? r Is it only available in Tokyo ?

Easy!

http://www.village-v.co.jp/

Get him to drop me a note for further instructions if needed. Though now in reprint, the main bookstores are perhaps unlikely to have large quantities, where as some of the specialists like Village Vanguard & Camera Cabaret are more likely (as per above).  I will check their stock level tomorrow, and amend this if they're all gone or something traumatic like that. Skj.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
Dear Robot Action Boy. Any idea why this thread tries to log onto your blog thingy? Suggest an image file link perhaps? Can this be fixed, as I do not want to delete your great thread and photographs! Arigato! Skj.

tinm@n

• Photobeautique
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:17 AM »
Hey Skorj thanks very much for that ultra-prompt reply :-)

I'll send an email to my pal with the info right now.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010, 12:59:07 AM »
neat store, i spent a couple hours there the day before i left. i still think about some of the stuff i should have bought while there.
                                                                  - John Waters

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:02 AM »
okay i know this is an EXTREMELY OLD thread but i thought i would revive this instead of making a new one. I put together my gakkenflex ages ago and never got around to using it. i dug it out my camera tomb and completely forgot how to use it.

how many winds do i do to advance the film? is it one full rotation? also, its pretty hard to focus (for me at least) does anybody know a good way to zone focus with this? any info/tips would be much appreciated thanks.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
okay i know this is an EXTREMELY OLD thread but i thought i would revive this instead of making a new one. I put together my gakkenflex ages ago and never got around to using it. i dug it out my camera tomb and completely forgot how to use it.

how many winds do i do to advance the film? is it one full rotation? also, its pretty hard to focus (for me at least) does anybody know a good way to zone focus with this? any info/tips would be much appreciated thanks.

A half rotation equals one frame advance, theoretically, but it doesn't always quite work out that way so I do 3/4 a rotation.  Of course, I end up wasting even more film than normal but, hey...

I found that the focus worked pretty well, until I took out the aperture ring.  But before I did that it seemed to focus well and now it still gives the appearance of focusing well.