Author Topic: Interesting Camera - Fujica Rapid S2.  (Read 10402 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Interesting Camera - Fujica Rapid S2.
« on: November 26, 2009, 10:08:51 AM »
Nice! I wonder what it takes to respool 35mm into Rapid carts? Because this little kitten is gorgeous!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Interesting Camera - Fujica Rapid S2.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
To get my Beirette working I just yanked some 35mm out of a regular cannister in a dark bag and pushed it into the rapid cassette. It sort of worked...enough for me to be able to try out the camera at least. Worth a go.

This S2 does indeed look excellent. I curse the rapid system. So many great cameras...such a stupid format!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:01:27 AM »
Looked so interesting I googed it and found http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00GsGE

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:34:25 PM »
And if it's of help. I measured the length of the film which was in the Myrapid I got recently. It was 24 inches long. That was for 24 half frame exposures.

Apparantly there were two speeds of film available. In the Myrapid there's a lug on the cassette which effects the meter setting to take the film speed into account. I've not found any informtion on what the speeds were though.

If you're going to reload the cassette then I guess you need to know what film speed the cassette is designed for. So far, I haven't tried.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »
This camera is gorgeous !
I have an Agfa Iso Rapid and never tried using it...

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
I was recently given an Agfa Isoflash-Rapid so have been doing a lot of research on the Afga Rapid cassettes. It appears the Rapid cassettes were designed for 12 full-frames, 16 squares, or 24 half-frames.

My particular camera counts down from 16 frames, and I had been pondering/lamenting the idea of processing such short rolls, but I came across some posts where other people have successfully loaded 24 full-frames in a Rapid cassette without issue. So the typical trick is to load a cassette, shoot a set, then just open the back and close it again to reset the frame counter, shoot the second set, and then process the batch either commercially or at home.

Some other people have found that some disposable cameras have a similar but slightly smaller plastic cassette that can occasionally be retrieved from a local minilab if finding Rapid cassettes is challenging. There doesn't seem to be good data on which models of disposables might have them, though.

The pin length on the metal T is to automatically designate the film speed for cameras that support it, and some may have ASA speed stamped into the T as well. ASA 80 seemed to be prevalent, and many people seem to have success shooting various flavors of modern ASA 100 film.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:10:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jack. I'm sure we'd all like to see some results from your Agfa Isoflash-Rapid.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »
Thanks, Peter! Unfortunately, I'm still one cassette short.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »
There's a couple of lots on the bay now. One lot at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-vintage-Agfa-Karat-Rapid-35mm-film-cassettes-/250748631294 though they don't seem to have the metal T piece for the ISO setting. But maybe OK as a take up spool.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 03:31:13 AM »
Thanks, Peter! Unfortunately, I'm still one cassette short.
They show up - like their cameras - in Japan regularly too. Check the 'Resources' section here perhaps, as you may well be able to place an order with one of the shops listed. Good luck! Skj.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
... and we have the D1 too!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
Nice. But I still like the design of the S2 better.