Author Topic: The Contraption 3: The Flash Powerbox  (Read 7757 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
The Contraption 3: The Flash Powerbox
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »
Is it just me or was it hot over the last week? Looks like the dog-days of summer are finally here. Since going around in sultry 35-40C heat doesn't qualify as fun picture taking conditions, I decided to stay inside with the air conditioning running full blast and tinker. Thus came to life my third contraption: the Flash Powerbox. This project started out as something cheap and simple that would finally put to some good use the old electronic flashes I had lying in a drawer that haven't seen the light of day in more than 10 years. Then, for some odd reason quickly became hell on wheels in both its complexity and rising costs. So what started as a cheap project is ending up costing me well over 50 bucks in miscellaneous parts from the electronics surplus store.

It all started with a simple idea (like all other projects that seem to take on a life of their own after some point): wouldn't it be fun to have a way to fire many flashes simultaneously without using a slave trigger? Then came: wouldn't it be even cooler if I didn't have to put AA's inside each flash? And you can already see the ball starting to roll down the hill?

So for the project, I had a few things I ended up wanting really bad:
A box with larger capacity batteries for more power.
The possibility to use AC current in case the batteries failed.
The possibility to use some pre-assembled and cheap wires to bring both power to the flash units and trigger the flashes.

So, I first thought of bundling wires and connect them using audio plugs. But that would have been too expensive and just a mess to connect. Then I thought about using regular phone cord for connecting the whole thing. It already has 4 connectors, costs only 1$ for a good length, I have a ton of them that came with previous telephones and modems... the perfect choice.

First problem I encountered is the power supply I had blew. So I ended up getting a better one. Then came part of the wiring nightmare. I hadn't thought that since the phone cables are straight, the red, black, green and yellow wires become yellow, green, black and red at the flash end (no wonder nothing would work!).

Also, to put additional wires inside those already tightly packed units requires better than average soldering skills. So I had to enlist my dad for part of the work. One of the issues with working inside the flash units is that rather nasty looking capacitor. Just to give an indication on how powerful they can be, when I had to discharge one using a pair of well insulated needle nose pliers, the capacitor actually melted a part of the tip and blackened it for a good 1/4 inch long. Not to mention producing a loud snap which almost had me go to change underwear.

Once I thought I had everything wired up correctly (the flashes would charge up correctly) I came to the realization that there was another problem: only one of the two flashes would fire when I pressed the test button... at that point, I had already overspent quite a bit and couldn't figure out exactly what the problem was. Then it dawned on me: my flashes were different make and age. Contrary to my belief, the flash trigger voltage isn't the same for all models. The flash with the lowest trigger voltage will actually prevent the other one from firing... a bad thing.

After a bit of research on the internet, I came up with a solution: make all the flashes trigger using the same voltage. This involved adding a special chip inside each unit (like there was a lot of free space in there) and re-wiring each flash. Hence the mess of spaghetti wires in each of the phone boxes I used. I had to use what is called an opto-isolator with TRIAC output... whatever this really means. This is essentially a small chip with a miniature LED and a phototransistor inside the same light tight casing. When I turn the LED on using the 6 volts which also power the flash (I use a loopback to the powerbox for the trigger), it opens a switch to short the original flash trigger. It's that simple and works like magic.

Now, I finally have a working system! It is light and used up a ton of old stuff I had lying in the drawers of the workshop. It uses 4 D cells to power up to 4 flashes. When using the wall plug, it powers the flashes in a fraction of the time.

I hope you all enjoyed reading about this other adventure in Rube Goldberg territory.
All I hope is I will have as much fun using it as I had building/fixing it...

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:46:22 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: The Contraption 3: The Flash Powerbox
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 07:44:03 PM »
(On the Tiger shot, I was getting f/8 for 100 ISO on my old flash meter using two flashes including one in a home made umbrella... not too shabby.)

Now I still have to find a hotshoe to plug it on my Nikon... Open flash isn't a serious alternative...

Edited Sunday 23rd 2009 at 11:am... sorry for the missing image.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:47:04 PM by Francois »
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
i have no idea what's going on here... ???

just looking at it makes my brain hurt.

;D

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:39:49 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »
Oops... missing a picture
sorry...

Thanks Sean for making me notice... I think the ogre's work is done now :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:08:45 PM by Francois »
Francois

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:18:08 AM »
WOW so when are you going into production?

This would appeal to a wide audience. Because of the top quality speedlights on the market now, and thanks to the
inspiration of people like http://www.strobist.com, a lot of location based pro's use hand-held guns. They/I  would leap at the chance to run  SB's off AC.
.. or is the AC only to recharge the cells??
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:20:16 AM by db »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »
Nope, AC it to power the whole thing. I was lucky enough to find a good transformer which can give out 2 amps at 6 volts. A flick of the switch and I get lightning fast recycles :)

The hard part is modifying the individual speedlights, hence the spaghetti electronics shot :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:59:16 PM by Francois »
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
Well done, Francois. I'm with Sean AND Don in that I don't absolutely follow everything you've written, but I think it's cool; really, really cool. Keep 'em coming. I'm already looking forward to reading about #4.

:)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:05:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

It's not that complicated a project... it just gave me nightmares a few times ;)

I have no idea what #4 will be like... but I'm hoping it's going to be off the wall and easier to build than this one (which is still a work in progress...)
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
I'm utterly confused, but very impressed.  I dont even know how an auto flash on a digi compact works, let alone this beast, but it looks amazing.

I think Number 4 should be some kind of time machine or teleport system.  Or maybe a 50 pound note generator?
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 10:04:58 PM »
I'm utterly confused, but very impressed.  I dont even know how an auto flash on a digi compact works, let alone this beast, but it looks amazing.

I think Number 4 should be some kind of time machine or teleport system.  Or maybe a 50 pound note generator?
I don't know how they work either, I just followed the wires inside so I can tap into them. From opening many flashes, I noticed that most don't seem to work the same way. The one that appeared the simplest had an auto exposure eye on it (which is counter intuitive).

As for the teleport system, the most I could come up with is a massively large trebuchet... not the most fun ride since it would most probably scramble your molecules on landing  ;D
For the 50 quid note generator... can't help much here either though I do know that good old fashion zinc washers (or even pull tabs on soda cans) do work in those peanut dispensers we still find sometimes at the car mechanic (though freshness of the stuff in those glass tumblers is far from guaranteed)...
Francois

Sam Thompson

• 35mm
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
Hi Francois,

Have you drawn a schematic for this?

Later,
Sam.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
Well... not really...I built it from my head (like I usually do for everything).

But I can actually explain how I made it in detail.
On the flash part, I used an opto isolator. You can pretty much use any model that has an open gate when the power is off. I used a MOC 3010. This is the most important part of the project as I found that different brand and model flashes trigger at widely different voltages. This allows me to bring everything down to 6 volts. Since the MOC 3010 used an IR diode, it is important to put a resistor on the diode side. On the isolated trigger side, I connect both wires from the flash trigger (hotshoe).

For now, I have 4 wires that go to the box. But I plan on improving the design and slimming it down to a 3 wire connector... but I need to think it over.

Now, in the box, a very basic design would involve only the power transformer and a switch to turn it to the batteries in the box.

Two of the wires from each flash goes on a power bus. The other two go to the trigger bus which gets connected to a plug for the PC terminal on the camera.

I must admit I added quite a few things to mine, like a second safety opto-isolator, a flash triggering button (which is pretty much fried from trying to switch a 400 VDC flash when the switch is rated 12 volts, power indicator, sync off switch and so on.

The project in itself is very simple if you have basic experience in electronics. If not, I would recommend against dissecting the flashes like I did. They contain lots of energy and it can be dangerous to play inside them with metallic tools. If I had to re-do it, I would use fake batteries to connect the power and use the PC cord port to get the trigger. Much simpler and much safer.

Francois

Sam Thompson

• 35mm
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
Thanks Francois!

I've been looking for something like this to fire multiple flashes.

What's the value of the resistor you used for the opto-isolator?

On your switches, you can put a snubber across the contacts to quench the arc that happens when you switch it off.

Later,
Sam.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
I just checked and I have what I think is a 330ohm 5% resistor on the diode side. (orange orange brown gold)

Actually, using a snubber is not needed anymore since I'm using only 6 volts on everything... but the switch is pretty much on on its way to the great bin in the sky! I'm simply lucky it just didn't weld itself shut! as usual, I wasn't expecting this even though I should have...  :-\
Francois