Author Topic: The Contraption 16: The Photo Database  (Read 4942 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
The Contraption 16: The Photo Database
« on: September 29, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »
Well, this one’s a long story that took even longer to put together. It all goes back to last spring when talking about how to sort your pictures was a hot topic. Some did contact prints while others went as far as cataloguing everything in a database. And it got me thinking. While I try and always do a contact print (though I have quite a backlog to print), I often want to have a better sorting system. I used to have a big spreadsheet just for that, but it was before I changed my entire filing system. So now, I needed something quite robust yet simple. Just having an Excel sheet seemed limited in a way. So, while I had some spare time over the summer, I decided to tempt fate and build a database from scratch. Needless to say, I had never done anything like that before and quickly learned I never will do anything like that again! This project could be simply qualified as a major pain.

The thing is all the databases I looked at were geared to the indexing of single digital images. While I could simply create empty images with the proper tags and use something like Picasa, I thought at the time that it would be faster and easier to manage a single Access database. So I set out to learn how to program a database in the only language I know: Visual Basic. And this led me to something else: using a full year’s worth of swear words in a few weeks! But finally, I did manage to get something that works surprisingly well. It’s not blazing fast but it allows me to enter an unmentionable amount of information and to search through it with relative ease.

The system is built in such a way that it can support multiple photographers, multiple cameras. It automatically creates a unique serial number for each film which can be truncated starting from the end. It even can catalog individual frames from a film. It stores location information so you know where the image was taken. The only thing that doesn’t work yet is the geocoded information. It also stores film, exposure, processing, lens, aperture, flash, camera, date, frame, film type, keywords and description. You name it, I think it’s in there!

As usual, there are no instructions. I call it the play and learn system. :)
Anyways, I do hope you find it useful if you choose to use it. I know there are bugs in it, but nothing really bad that will make you lose any data. As for me, I’m pretty much retiring this project on start so that what is currently not working probably will stay like that (until I get annoyed by it and decide to give it an update)

Here is the link to the file on my Google Drive. I didn't bother making a nice installer using Innosetup so you're stuck with the old ugly Microsoft installer that came with Visual Basic.
(See a newer message down the thread for what I think is a better version I made)

And here's the screenshot
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:28:54 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
Re: The Contraption 16: The Photo Database
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:12:18 AM »
Wow, Francois!  This is incredibly impressive!  I'm going to have to download this and check it out.  It just may replace my workflow once I figure it all out!  Thank you for sharing your talent!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »
You're welcome :)
Give it a try. And if you find some major bugs, just let me know. I think I've pretty much bulletproofed the program but we never know...
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
OK, I just did an improvement which makes things better.
If you're not happy with the program, you can export the database as a CSV file that any program can open.
That way, no work is lost.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »
OK, I just did an improvement which makes things better.
If you're not happy with the program, you can export the database as a CSV file that any program can open.
That way, no work is lost.
a function every database program should have :)
I've kept pondering a good system for sorting my images since said hot topic. and this looks promising! I'll give it a whirl~
/jonas

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
some errors during installation, I just clicked try again and then ignore on these I think.

c:\win\sys32\expsrv.dll - access violation occured while copying the file
c:\win\sys32\vbajet32.dll - ditto
can not find the procedurestart adress lstrcatI in the DLL-file MSDART.DLL
an error occured while registering the file 'c:\win\sys32\msadox.dll'
an error occured while registering the file 'c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\DAO\Dao350.dll

then "Installation completed succesfully" ;D

I would like Taking Date to not be a required field. I'm mostly interested in being able to not set a specific date but just month and year but I can imagine needing to rule out month too sometimes haha.
that and being able to set temperature in celcius.

oh, I think it crashed just now when I tried clicking the database tab. it said first that I didn't have anything there though. then a runtime error maybe?

I'll keep trying it out during the weekend. thanks francois!
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
Probably has to do with the crap installer from Microsoft...
I'll try and make something proper using Innosetup...

It's always hard to test stuff on my machine since it's already got so many libraries installed!

As far as some of the data like temperature, there is some automation in there. The temperature will automatically switch to Celsius if it's under 55°.
And for the date, what I used to do is shoot everything on the 1st of the month :)
For me, close enough is good enough...

The program is not supposed to crash on an empty database... I got some script in it for just that... I'll have to double check.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
OK, I finally found the bug Jonas was talking about. And it sure was very present, but only when I installed the program!
So, I modified it to deal better with the error and used Innosetup to make a decent installer.
Here's the new address
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1dmZoIlURfDMVJ2Tjgxc2QzQnM
Francois