Author Topic: Review - Kodak Ektar 100.  (Read 33058 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Review - Kodak Ektar 100.
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:38:04 AM »
Following a generous offer by a fellow filmwaster, a few of us have been recently trying Kodak's new Ektar 100. Available in both 135 and 120 formats, Kodak claims it has the `World`s Finest Grain`. First to arrive was a Pro Pack of 120, duly distributed to fellow buroni shooters:

A man who told me this jinbo was not his most expensive. Yashica Mat 124 at f3,5.

The results are very nice. Putting aside the technical aspects of grain, and latitude and stuff like that, it has a very film-like presence, and an overall glorious rendering of colors. With film use now being a selective choice for photographers wanting to distance themselves from the dry bright sameness of digital photography, perhaps Kodak said, 'Lets make a new film that has results that look unmistakably film-like... '

Greens, blues, and yellows are all softly represented. Reds and oranges get a bit more pump:

Both above Yashica Mat.

Greens particularly nice:

Bessa R3a, 21mm.

From Artsyken's Yashicaflex. More from Ken:

Technical stuff? Well I shot this at ISO400 by mistake:

Realizing my error, I reset my ISO and shot similar again at the proper ISO100:

So, I think it is safe to say Ektar 100 has a nice latitude... Grain? This was scanned at 300dpi at 300%:

Summary: the little color I shoot I usually use Fuji Film's FujiPro400 (PN400N). I use the FujiPro as it too as a very obvious film presence, with a moderate grain too. The Ektar has a similar presence, but is certainly a lot smoother. If you shoot color, and enjoy interesting results, then a few rolls of Ektar to compare with what you normally shoot would be a good start. It would also be interesting to see the results from a flash-equipped point-and-shoot device too.

The only shortcoming I have been unfortunate to discover, is though it is a conventional C-41 process, one lab chain in Japan has issued the directive to all its stores they are NOT to process Ektar. As most labs in Japan use a variation of the Fuji Film C-41 lab, this may be the result of pressure from Fuji. Or, it may just be because the film is new the lab has not verified appropriate tolerances in their machines to support. No idea really, but it was annoying in trying to get a 135 roll processed this week.

Time will tell perhaps, if Fuji Film feel compelled to release a similar low-grain film... 

See ya! I am off...

Bessa R3a at 1/15s.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:05:19 PM by Skorj »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Review - Kodak Ektar 100.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:23:13 PM »
Some more from fellow Tokyo-ite Clemens, from his Fuji GW 690 III:

Clemens says, 'Nothing much to say, I just love the "old" feeling here. Perfect for Ektar'.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:17:10 AM by Skorj »

wavebeat

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 12:47:36 AM »
Love the photos by Clemens. The tonalities are very, very beautiful. The pegs photo is exceptionally fine.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:30:41 AM »
a couple from me with the natura classica.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Brian Scott Peterson

• 35mm
  • Time flies like an arrow fruit flies like a banana
    • brianscottpeterson.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:09:00 AM »

Note, the above are 135-format, and all of these particular shots we all pushed to 400.

An interesting note is that when I dropped this off to get developed, the lab asked me if I wanted "Ektar Development." Never having been asked that before, I of course said yes. Then I proceeded to tell him that 2 of the 4 rolls I was dropping off were pushed to 400. He pulled out a special new Ektar book and told me they couldn't do it. Because they send the film to Kodak, I didn't know if that meant that Kodak couldn't do it, or their Japanese minds couldn't get around the idea of doing something that wasn't by the book.

Anyway, the answer was no. So I had them send it to another Pro Lab, Horiuchi for those of you who know Tokyo. Weird thing was, when I got all the negs back, the ones from Kodak shot at speed, and the ones from Horiuchi pushed 2 stops looked completely different in the sleeves, night and day. Not only did the emulsions on each film look completely different, the general tint of the film itself was a totally different hue. The stuff from Kodak looked pinkish with with lots of strong greens, while the Horiuchi stuff pushed to 400 looked much more yellowish, with strong blues, really strong, almost like reversal film and distinctive, like I have never really seen before.

When I ran them both through the scanner, the film from Kodak looked like the 120 I had shot and processed a week earlier, but the grain from the 135 wasn't as amazing as it is on the 120, particularly in the highlights. And the reds and oranges were a bit gross, but that could have been from the auto exposure setting on the scanner. When I ran the pushed Ektar (which is what you see above), the images all came out really cold, and I had to color correct a just a hair, but you can see they are still pretty cold, but still really nice, and have those muted tones that we are starting to see in run through this film.

Anyway, just some observations. I have lots more stuff if anybody want to see more samples. 

And for the record, in this almost blown out sky on 120, you can see the grain so softly, but clearly in it, and if you take a good look, you may say to yourself that it just might indeed be the world's finest grain....

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:59:44 PM by Skorj »
Time flies like and arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

http://brianscottpeterson.com
http://zokyo.jp

Brian Scott Peterson

• 35mm
  • Time flies like an arrow fruit flies like a banana
    • brianscottpeterson.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:09:55 AM »
A Crop...

Time flies like and arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

http://brianscottpeterson.com
http://zokyo.jp

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
Can't wait to get my hands on some of this - I'm truly loving how the colors render1  Thanks everyone for sharing your results!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:03:50 AM »
A Crop...

Hey, I can see Fuji-san in that grain... Nice work. Skj.

lynn

• 35mm
    • two-muses
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 01:19:30 PM »
A Flickr contact very kindly sent me a roll of Ektar 120 after I mentioned in a comment that the 120 was difficult to find here in NL. I can't wait to get it into the Great Wall and shoot it...even moreso after reading your remarks and seeing these glorious images!  :)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 02:06:51 PM »
GR1v:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:03:45 AM by Skorj »

Yglotte

• A 15 year old film "photographer"
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
Digging up this thread, I'm gonna show the power of expired Ektar 100:

Hugo, Typewriter guy. par Yglotte, sur Flickr

Tignes Val Claret. par Yglotte, sur Flickr

Waiting. par Yglotte, sur Flickr

The colors are very vivid, really saturated.

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:46:57 AM »
Home processed Ektar 100, Tetenal Press kit. Taken with a Minolta Maxxum 7. Either 50mm f2.8 Macro, 35-105mm(1st Gen crossed X's) and 100-300mm APO for the bird. Scanned with an Epson V330 Photo Scanner. Cleaned in CS6.

Los Lunas Hwy 6 by Cadha13, on Flickr

Building by Cadha13, on Flickr

Support by Cadha13, on Flickr

Westward Sky by Cadha13, on Flickr

I just need to go out and shoot more, this is just some really great film. Onto roll 3. I am still shocked on well they came out.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
Very nice. I am tempted to try the Tetenal kit. Would shoot a lot more 120 Ektar and Portra, and 400 Pro if I could process them myself.

This is 135 Ektar, shop processed.

Parking disabled by Eirik0304, on Flickr

Maples in autumn by Eirik0304, on Flickr

To the manor born? by Eirik0304, on Flickr

Rotunda by Eirik0304, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:06:31 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
Review - Kodak Ektar 100.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »
Wow - I got a couple of rolls of Ektar on 35mm at Photographica because "eh that's cheap and also I've heard it's good". Now all I seem to see is posts with amazing shots made with Ektar. I'm going to have to shoot some.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff