Author Topic: Naomi Savage's Darkroom  (Read 1243 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Naomi Savage's Darkroom
« on: May 06, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
I know this series is getting quite long, but this one might be of interest to all the alt.process fans out there. I'm bringing you Naomi Savage's darkroom/workroom/house. Her work takes place all through the house so it's hard to point to only one room. Here is her bio.

Now for those who want to make a darkroom from scratch, using a lead sink like she did is probably not the best idea in the world! But this is still a fully functional darkroom (though quirky I should say).

As usual, I know the book it still copyrighted, though probably largely out of print. So if anybody doesn't feel OK with the content, just PM me and I'll remove the text and images...

Naomi Savage is one photographer who often uses the photographic print as an intermediate step in the development of a final idea that may incorporate photoengraving, gum-bichromate, and other non-silver techniques. One of her major projects was the preparation of five etched magnesium plates, each 8' x 10', for the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library in Austin, Texas.
Her darkroom is in her home in Princeton, New Jersey, on the edge of town where it begins to give way to the surrounding countryside.
One entire end of the house is devoted to her studio and darkroom. The design is contemporary and the studio is bright with natural light entering through large windows on two sides. The cathedral ceiling gives a feeling of spaciousness. The darkroom is tucked off to one end, adequate in size but small in comparison to the adjoining work area.
On the wall outside the darkroom door is a framed receipt from the Museum of Modern Art for the purchase of two of her early prints. It is for $10.00 and signed by Edward Steichen. A prestigious but less-than-lucrative sale for a young photographer.
DeMaio, Joe, Curtin, Dennis, The darkroom handbook - A complete guide to the best design, construction and equipment. Curtin & London inc. Marblehead, Massachusetts, 1979

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:01:17 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
Re: Naomi Savage's Darkroom
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »
Nice. She is someone I didn't know. Man Ray's niece huh.
That's the size darkroom I relate to- cozy and functional.

And bored? Don't you worry, we'll let you know when  ;)