Author Topic: Jeanloup Sief's darkroom  (Read 3921 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Jeanloup Sief's darkroom
« on: April 29, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »
Now this is probably the cleanest looking darkroom I've ever seen. All covered in bright white tile, you could almost eat off the floor.

Now, in the scan we can't see, but behind Jeanloup Sief, there is a small frame with a message: "De l'ordre! de l'ordre. Une place pour chaque chose et chaque chose a sa place." which translates to "Order! Order. One place for each thing and everything in it's place"

Just that sums up the photographer's personality quite nicely.

As usual, I know the book it still copyrighted, though probably largely out of print. So if anybody doesn't feel OK with the content, just PM me and I'll remove the text and images...

Jeanloup Sieff is a prominent French photographer known both for his commercial work in advertising and fashion and also for his personal work. A great deal of the personal work is in black and white.
Sieff has published extensively, including a basic book on photography, La Photo, coauthored with Chenz. His most recent publications include a series of which he is the editor entitled Diary of a Journey. The first volume in the series, Death Valley, is by Sieff and was published in 1978.
The darkroom is located in his Paris studio and occupies a room with a sloping roof. It is among the more functional darkrooms we have encountered and one of few to be tiled for easy cleaning and elimination of dust problems.

DeMaio, Joe, Curtin, Dennis, The darkroom handbook - A complete guide to the best design, construction and equipment. Curtin & London inc. Marblehead, Massachusetts, 1979

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:58:06 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Jeanloup Sief's darkroom
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:30:57 PM »
wow - look at all that Paper!
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:05:15 PM »
He's even got some stacked on top of the door!
Francois

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »
B******t. It's just not right. ???

He must have tidied up first!

Hey Francois-
Do you have Ansel A in that book? I believe he had a big horizontal enlarger set up that rolled back and forward on rails..

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
Great images, his darkroom is a clean room :-)
db-I had one of those De Vere Horizontal 8x10 enlargers in my Lab. I think I read somewhere AA had an enlarger that used light from the sky to make his images, something that wouldn't catch on in the UK !!
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 03:41:53 PM »
Sorry everyone, but Ansel wasn't included...
Though I've seen him print once in a video and it was quite amazing.
Francois