Author Topic: "Hiya", and a quick question....  (Read 3728 times)

Inverse

"Hiya", and a quick question....
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:18:26 AM »
Hello all.

I'm new here, but have been visitng for a few months now. Anyway, 'hello', and all that.

If I can ask a quick question whilst I'm at it....  It's actually in two parts.... The first one is simple but not.. If anyone has any advice for getting 120 film onto plastic reels then please tell me, as I'm getting board of standing in the dark for 30 mins!  Secondly, I'm sure I read somewhere (perhaps here, Leon?) that someone can get two 120 rolls onto one reel; however, I can't find the source of this..

Cheers all!

G

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: "Hiya", and a quick question....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:09:34 AM »
sacrifice a roll and practice with the lights on. Practice is the only advice I know. Drove me nuts at first, too. Now it just take a minute if the film isn't crazy curly.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:21:17 AM »
Snip the corners off the leading edge of the film - helps a lot. Also, be very sure the reels have been well rinsed to remove any wetting agent and then thoroughly dried.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 08:01:46 AM »
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:56:42 PM »
If you have spare cash (or are very handy), the makers of the Nova tank systems sell a special device for helping roll 120 film on paterson reels.

Found it on their website http://www.novadarkroom.com/mjb_pop/index.html

Here's what they say:
Nova Spiral EasyLoader Ref: ANEASYLOAD
NOVA SPIRAL EASYLOADER - Loading film onto spools can sometimes be awkward with only one pair of hands so why not ease the problem with the Nova Easyloader. A simple holding device that makes you feel like you have 3 hands in the Darkroom. It works with 120/220 as well as 35mm Paterson ratchet action type spools. Drop in the cassette/spool feed the leader into the spool and easy loading commences. Both spool and film are kept in perfect alignment whilst you carry out the loading action. An extremely useful product!

Price:  £13.99 Including VAT at 17.5%

I never used it but it looks like it could make the job a lot easier.

Has anyone here ever used this?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

dave miller

• An English Eye
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 07:37:08 PM »
Yes, I've used the Nova loading aid for sometime. I find it helps to line up the film with the take-up slot on the reel.
regards
Dave

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
Hi and welcome. 

I think I wanted to hurt something when first loading the plastic spools with 120.  But, I didn't give up.  I actually spent my TV time with a spare roll, practicing, until I could come up with a "method" of doing it.  I found that all of the above advice is helpful (and necessary).  Although,  I don't snip corners anymore.  The biggest trick is to FEEL the end moving over the ball bearings.  So, whichever way you can position yourself to help it along, is mainly what you will discover practicing in the light.

One day it just clicked.   

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:02:05 PM »
Lots of practice with a sacrificial roll in daylight, always rinse well immediately after unloading & make sure they're absolutely, completely, utterly 100% dry before trying to load. Even the slightest drop of moisture will jam the reel.

After a while it honestly becomes second nature.

Inverse

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 02:30:49 PM »
Thanks all.... Great advice all-round. I'll certainly make sure I at least try a lot of what is advised here....

By the way, I did find some reels that have an extended 'lip' (I don't know the correct term) and so it's a lot easier to push the film down against it, prior to feeding it through onto the reel and past the ball-bearings. I'll have a look who manufactures these and I'll note it in here, just in case anyone is interested.

G
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:33:30 PM by Inverse »