Author Topic: Pentax Camera Museum.  (Read 13564 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Pentax Camera Museum.
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »
Nestled in the hills outside of Mashiko (about three hours out of Tokyo), is the Pentax Camera Museum. It is part of a much larger factory & research establishment...

The employees have a few boats to chase ducks on the lake in front of main building, and after a cursory talk with the guard we were given open access to wandering around the back lots looking for the third floor museum.

If not for the first gen Pious sitting in the car park, it was like walking back into 1975, when the KX-series was released. The buildings date from about this time, and are kept pristine and in their original configuration, including multi-colored vinyl awnings that looked like they came from left over Expo '70 stock.

The museum displays over 1000 cameras, from their held examples of about 5000 types. Displayed clockwise around one large room, the differing levels of cabinet used for folders, SLRs, TLRs, RFs, etc, allows you to follow the development (and demise) of particular models - of which they have many.

Daguerreotype cameras, with original Daguerreotypes, colloidal process, magic lanterns, all start to fade into Kodak boxes, the 1925 Leica A, 1929 Rolleiflex, 1933 Exacta SLR, 'Blad 100, 1952 Pentax SLR, Nikon F, Yashica TLRs. Minox spy cameras, stereo cameras & displays, the first Polaroids. A separate section for the Pentax line allows you to see all the Pentax stuff in one lump. Digital included.

One cabinet row charts TLRs, and about halfway along they display a Fujicaflex Automat from 1954. Possibly the coolest looking TLR ever made, getting a Loewy industrial design look. Next to it my first TLR the Ricohflex VII.

Down the row of SLRs was a Fujita 66, something I imagine Sean would enjoy.

As well as the camera, they also have a section on meters, accessories and films.

A Pentax 67 waterproof case made from cast aluminum took the prize for most massive device I've seen in a long time.

The collection was established in the late 1960s, and Pentax moved the museum from Tokyo to Mashiko about ten years ago according to the curator. My photographic experience now includes the proofreading of their new English brochure as the curator took advantage of my vast language skills while we were there, so if you make the journey you can tell them you know who did that... Entrance is free, and it is open 09:00 to 17:00 most weekdays. Well worth the trip. Skj.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 01:33:07 PM by Skorj »

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
Re: Pentax Camera Museum.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »
That's cool but something inside me gets sad when I see cameras behind glass as museum pieces  :-\
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
neat looking place! yer right, i dig that camera. i looked around, found some similar fujitas, but about $400. but it's the same thing as this:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-36.html

so maybe there is hope.

very cool film boxes, as well!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:22:38 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
I love the designs of old film boxes - I don't know how we ever ended up with the range of blandness we have now...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:26:21 AM »
Wow, wow, wow! God, I'd love to have been on that trip, Skorj San. Thanks so much for posting and for the taking the time to write something informative as well as posting the wonderful images. Superb.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 02:32:16 PM »
yup,  great stuff,   again  loving the film boxes, design-tastic!

cheers skorji

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »
Mmmhh, I think I saw an underwater cover for the Pentax 67!! Is that possible. Diving with the Pentax 67 miust quite an experience. I guess there is no need for weights in this case! I have to look for one  ;D

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »
seems like well worth a visit!

and hey! a fujita 66~ I've actually got one of those cameras. curtains are jammed though so it's waiting for a fix. that's basically why I got the yashica 635 to play with 'till that day comes.

might send it soon though, cause my contax rts just broke... :(

btw, I guess you mean fujicaflex and not yashicaflex there
/jonas

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »
and hey! a fujita 66~ I've actually got one of those cameras. curtains are jammed though so it's waiting for a fix. that's basically why I got the yashica 635 to play with 'till that day comes.

might send it soon though, cause my contax rts just broke... :(

btw, I guess you mean fujicaflex and not yashicaflex there
Wow! I've always wanted one... One day perhaps. Especially a wide lens with it perhaps. Thanks too for the correction tip - updated! Appreciated. Skj.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »
if I ever decide to let it go, I'll remember to get in touch with you :)

seems like atleast the kalimar had some lenses avaliable.. but I bet they are a rare sight.
/jonas