Author Topic: route 66 (long time, no see!)  (Read 3298 times)

///rin

route 66 (long time, no see!)
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:08:56 AM »
so, i have been absent for a long time.  i have been busy!  i recently got back from a cross country road trip along route 66 from chicago to LA.  took a hasselblad xpan II and a holga (and a point + shoot digital), and am currently posting the results on my blog by state - i'm up to kansas now. 

to see all of them (so far), my blog is http://halophoto.blogspot.com and there is a category on the side labeled route 66.  that will show you all the posts to date. 

anyway, i thought i'd share a few here too and say hi and all that fun stuff.  :)

first two here are xpan, second two are holga (i hope that would be obvious!).  city and state are in the image titles.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:10:43 AM by ///rin »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: route 66 (long time, no see!)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »
Welcome back! A road trip...hmm, sounds like a lot of fun. Been looking through your blog posts; somelovely stuff there. More landscapes please! I liked the Holga of the praying hands especially and one of the xpans of the St Louis arch. Keep 'em coming.

///rin

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:59:25 AM »
Welcome back! A road trip...hmm, sounds like a lot of fun. Been looking through your blog posts; somelovely stuff there. More landscapes please! I liked the Holga of the praying hands especially and one of the xpans of the St Louis arch. Keep 'em coming.

ack!  i kinda suck at landscapes for the most part.  the stuff i've posted is about as close as i get.  although i guess some of my desert stuff sort of resembles landscapes at times.  that's coming up in a bit.  but thanks for the kind words. it was a great trip, and traveling with 3 other photographers made it all the better to stop often and explore with cameras in tow.

and i'll keep em coming all right - i'm only through oklahoma on the blog, and have texas, new mexico, arizona, california and nevada left to go!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
great stuff Erin - looking forward to seeing the rest
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »
Somehow makes me think of that Depeche Mode song :)
Well if you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way, take the highway that's the best
Get your kicks on Route 66

My little girl
Drive anywhere
Do what you want
I don't care
Tonight, I'm in the hands of fate
I hand myself over on a plate
Now

You're behind the wheel
You're behind the wheel

Well it goes to St. Louis
Down to Missouri
Oklahoma City looks so so pretty
You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Wynonna
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

If you get hip to this kindly tip
And go take that California trip

Oh little girl
There are times when I feel
I'd rather not be
The one behind the wheel
Come
Pull my strings
Watch me move
I do anything

Well if you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way, take the highway that's the best
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

okayku

• a set of postcards
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »
Can't wait to see Nevada, my home state :)

tijeras

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
yeah, I want to see how you treated the Albuquerque, NM area in my neck of the desert!

Next time you come through, call me. :)

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 08:58:18 PM »
Great stuff here. Especially like your take on the Arch.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
Nice work, Erin... I spent a short stretch of Route 66 this summer as well.  St. Louis area.  I like these. But I really like some others over on the blog better than these even. 

The Sapulpa, OK image is a great one.  Saying this, and I am not all that fond of holgarama type images really.

Sorry to say that I had made a mental note to say hello to you up in DC during the Artomat (Artorama?) but just never got up there as my life was way too busy early summer.  Anyway.  Great work.
My chopstick is really a love poem.

///rin

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »
ah, don't worry about it.  artomatic will happen again, and hopefully i'll be a part of it next time.  perhaps our paths will cross someday.  i've never been to richmond - it's far!

yeah, i have a ton of images, and i just grabbed a few to post over here.  everyone has their favorites though.  i don't really have any favorites yet, since it's still too early and i haven't had time to absorb them all yet.  they're not even all on the blog yet, still working through them!  i want to do some heavy duty printing in a couple of weeks so i need to do some serious thinking about what might make a good finished print so i don't waste my darkroom time.

and i know what you mean about not often liking holgaramas.  heck, it's rare for me to like holga shots, although i've found a few people who make absolutely gorgeous images with them. 

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:35:51 AM »
i take quite a few shots along route 66 here in az. parts go through towns, other parts are 50 foot sections in the middle of the desert not connected to anything....
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters