Author Topic: Review - Olempia Big Royal View  (Read 13733 times)

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
Review - Olempia Big Royal View
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »
Note the name, Olempia. Ha. I don't see these cameras very often in the thrift stores, but when I do, it is coming home with me. I've just picked up my second model for under $5. BN. Not bad. Compare it to other 35mm cameras found in such places, this one is the creme de la creme. Okay, sort of. While the other model I have is the same build and features, it goes under a different name, Minotar. Only the Olempia has an extra bonus with an extension on the telescopic flash head where the Mintoar does not. Telescopic?! Ha.

The reflex viewfinder is the added treat to both of these cameras, not seen on your typical thrift store cheapy 35mm camera. I just forgot to use it when shooting yesterday. There are more than likely some that do, but I've not seen any. A really nice unit and hefty with a solid build. You'd think you were holding a Hassy. I found it a lot easier to use than the Pentax ICQ I have and prefer the simple options as opposed to the numerous ones on the ICQ.

Features and Controls

1. Shutter release button
2. Wind/Rewind switch
3. Film counter window
4. Reflex view finder
5. Lens for reflex view
6. Hot shoe
7. Big view finder (Object)
8. Self-timer lever (15 sec)
9. Aperture scale
10. Lens
11. Red eye reduction
12. Speaker (Optional)
13. lens cover
14. 50mm f = 1: 4.5 motion driven lens ??

I've already used the flash from the Minotar once and mounted it with my Holga for a hand held flash and worked great. Loaded it with some expired Vastcolor 200 speed film made in Germany and took a few shots yesterday. It came with the camera. I suppose I could have taken better images of the camera itself like Mr. Skorji does. Make pretend. If you ever see one, pick it up and funk around with it...if not for the camera itself, but for the handy flash to mount on other cameras.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:56:34 PM by beck »
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Review - Olempia Big Royal View
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 03:17:45 AM »
What a machine! A toy camera for the lens-polishers perhaps? Looks pretty impressive.