Author Topic: Bulk film winder  (Read 3197 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Bulk film winder
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:10:20 PM »
I need your help!

I just bought at a garage sale a bulk film loader.

It is a Lloyd's (The daylight bulk film winder)
How does it work?

I know there is film inside because there is tension on the crank but I don't want to waste film that might be perfectly good...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Bulk film winder
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »
Ok, this is a shot in the dark based on other bulk film loaders I've used and some photos of the Lloyds one I found on ebay.

The corner of the loader where the crank is has a cover that hinges out. Inside the space under the cover is where you put the empty film canister that you want to load. There is a light trap between this space and the main compartment where the film is. If there is film in there, there should be some protruding into the space where the canister goes. With me so far?

Here's a pic that might help.

So, take your empty canister, take the spool out and attach the end of the film protruding from the loader. Put the spool back in the canister and fit the end cap. Put the canister into the space for it in the loader and engage the crank. Close the cover and wind the required number of turns (according to the label on the front). Open the cover, cut off the film and shape the leader. Your done.

This all assumes you have some empty canisters to load, something like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Russian-35mm-Film-Cassette-metal-BRAND-NEW-LOT-5x_W0QQitemZ280238282570QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »
Looking at the pictures again, it looks like the cover over the film can has to be closed before you engage the crank and, conversly, the crank has to be pulled out to release the cover. Hope that makes sense.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »
I'd like to know if the film reel (long spool) has some sort of light baffle on it when you buy it?
I did find the trap door for the 35mm spool and there is emulsion inside. Only thing is I don't know what type... Maybe there is some type of marking on the long spool itself.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:31:25 PM »
I'd like to know if the film reel (long spool) has some sort of light baffle on it when you buy it?

Not sure what you mean but when you buy bulk film, you will need to load it into the loader in the dark.

I did find the trap door for the 35mm spool and there is emulsion inside. Only thing is I don't know what type... Maybe there is some type of marking on the long spool itself.

I guess there would have been on the packaging but there won't be anything on the film other than what's imprinted on it - but to see that you'll need to develop some. I suggest cutting a bit off and developing in some black and white chemicals. You'll have to guess at developing times but, hopefully, you'll be able to read the edge markings which should identify the film.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »
I guess there would have been on the packaging but there won't be anything on the film other than what's imprinted on it - but to see that you'll need to develop some. I suggest cutting a bit off and developing in some black and white chemicals. You'll have to guess at developing times but, hopefully, you'll be able to read the edge markings which should identify the film.
Just what I was thinking of doing...

I just need to get me some fresh D-76 or something...
Francois