Author Topic: shoebox projector & toy camera photos and videos  (Read 2604 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
shoebox projector & toy camera photos and videos
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
A friend recently turned me on to the videos of Remyyy, a French guy who has done a lot of work, in both still and videos, using that old kids science project -- a shoebox projector.  Using a magnifying glass at one end, tracing paper inside as the projection screen, and the video camera at the other end you can achieve much of the same soft focus, aberration, and vignetting typical of Dianas and Holgas.  This isn't film, but it makes me want to go find a super 8 -- and as for still photography I think it's a better alternative than lensbabies for getting that toy camera look with a regular quality camera.

There's more info and samples here:
http://vimeo.com/channel5218

And my try, set to music of a friend's band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn9U9Z-mq9A

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Re: shoebox projector & toy camera photos and videos
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »
Snaps from one of those would look wicked!  :)

Tracing paper shopping for me at the weekend.

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »
Snaps from one of those would look wicked!  :)

Tracing paper shopping for me at the weekend.

Chops

It's a lot of fun.  Just to let you know, I found most tracing paper to have too much graininess / blotchiness.  I ended up using matte acetate (in the tracing paper section of the artist supply store).

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:36:20 PM »
Here's some stills from my vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn9U9Z-mq9A

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:39:31 PM »
I think this is a very neat and interesting project with tons of potential...even using a digi camera like I did. Though I did not use it in the same fashion such as the results here...I did something a little different....and without a movie editing program. Until I get myself a bigger memory stick for my older Sony, as the standard one I use is no longer made...but still available online...I'll shoot something better and say how I done it so someone else can try. I wanted it to look like it was shot on an old movie camera with tons of distortion.

Some have seen this at tc.com when I posted it...nothing much, but the look is what I was after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ERVgjjgTo
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »
I think this is a very neat and interesting project with tons of potential...even using a digi camera like I did. Though I did not use it in the same fashion such as the results here...I did something a little different....and without a movie editing program. Until I get myself a bigger memory stick for my older Sony, as the standard one I use is no longer made...but still available online...I'll shoot something better and say how I done it so someone else can try. I wanted it to look like it was shot on an old movie camera with tons of distortion.

Some have seen this at tc.com when I posted it...nothing much, but the look is what I was after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ERVgjjgTo

I'm interested to hear how you did this.  Please post here or at tc.

BTW, I used a Canon ZR500 -- pretty cheap but decent and, important for this project, small and lightweight.  I read a review of it that pointed out low-end camcorders often oversaturate colors to present a pleasing picture rather than achieving the more difficult task of color accuracy.  Perfect!

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 01:32:34 AM »
Well, not that I will be getting that memory stick any time soon...more than likely not...maybe. I'll try to describe what I did so you can try too....or anyone.

I covered the lens of the Sony with the plastic that covers a cigarette pack...held with a rubber band.

Shot the movie in black and white mode.

Uploaded the movie to my computer. Using Windows Media to view, I made an edit darkening the movie to my liking. I then covered the entire monitor screen with a piece of wax paper. When I ripped the wax paper from the box, I made sure the paper hit some of the teeth used to tear the paper off for a old movie film camera look...such as distortion, lines, and so on.

I then took my Sony once again with one hand, lights out, held semi steady and filmed the movie while in Windows Media... making sure to not film the sides of the monitor.

I previewed the dub, uploaded that movie in WM....and it was a bit dark, so I lightened the original, shot it over again with the digi, viewed it and it was to my liking.

Then, I added some bits of repeat frames here and there by adjusting the time tool bar with my other hand while filming in the other. Not sure what that tool bar thingy is called while viewing in WM. Just wanted to make it appear as if frames were jumping and in reverse, repeat, etc.

And there you have it....simple and fun to do. I prefer the black and white mode and hope to try this again and make something really cool.

Try it and report back!
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine