Author Topic: Scanner 120 adapters  (Read 5053 times)

Crash

• 35mm
Scanner 120 adapters
« on: May 01, 2006, 03:09:43 PM »
I've heard that somebody is manufacturing 120 film adapters for scanners, but I can't find anywhere they're being sold online.  Can anyone point me in the right direction? (we have an Epson Stylus Photo RX500)  ???

nicolai_g

Re: Scanner 120 adapters
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 04:49:48 PM »
There's the adjustable "MF Film Holdera" with adjustable cross-pieces (w/ or w/o ANR glass) from www.betterscanning.com

Is that the one you were thinking of?

(FWIW, they make an XPan/panoramic 35mm holder, too.)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:07:43 PM »
Great link, Nicolai. Thanks.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 04:33:47 AM »
Just an fyi--

A friend of mine bought one of those adapters in the link above--said it was useless most of the time.

Another fyi--

I just use two pieces of anti newton glass--when needed on a flatbed scanner such as the Epson 4870.
You have to be careful about newton rings, but works great with a little TLC.

Crash

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »
Thanks for the link.

xvvvz

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 08:35:38 PM »
Hi Susan -

I was alerted in regard to your comment of:

>>"Just an fyi--A friend of mine bought one of those adapters in the link above--said it was useless most of the time."<<

In fairness, I wish you would have posted some specifics.  Customer service is something I really work at and I make every attempt to help my customers utilize the product.  Did my product not meet their needs?  Was it too difficult for them to use?  Did they buy it for a need for which it wasn't intended OR did they have unrealistic expectations?  Did it fail somehow?  I would remember if someone had contacted me and claimed that my product was useless, so I don't believe they contacted me.  Your friend should have contacted me and I would have made every attempt to rectify the situation.  I will still do so.  My product is not perfect, and no doubt cannot have realistically pleased every user 100%, but as a workflow solution it has been well accepted.  It isn't (and I don't market it as) something that will turn a flatbed into a Nikon 9000 ;)

Again, your friend should feel free to contact me and I will make sure that every reasonable effort has been made on my end to meet their needs when the product has been used as instructed for the intended purpose.

Thanks!
Doug

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 11:05:50 PM »
Hi Susan -

I was alerted in regard to your comment of:

>>"Just an fyi--A friend of mine bought one of those adapters in the link above--said it was useless most of the time."<<

In fairness, I wish you would have posted some specifics.  Customer service is something I really work at and I make every attempt to help my customers utilize the product.  Did my product not meet their needs?  Was it too difficult for them to use?  Did they buy it for a need for which it wasn't intended OR did they have unrealistic expectations?  Did it fail somehow?  I would remember if someone had contacted me and claimed that my product was useless, so I don't believe they contacted me.  Your friend should have contacted me and I would have made every attempt to rectify the situation.  I will still do so.  My product is not perfect, and no doubt cannot have realistically pleased every user 100%, but as a workflow solution it has been well accepted.  It isn't (and I don't market it as) something that will turn a flatbed into a Nikon 9000 ;)

Again, your friend should feel free to contact me and I will make sure that every reasonable effort has been made on my end to meet their needs when the product has been used as instructed for the intended purpose.

Thanks!
Doug

Doug.

This is a forum to openly discuss creative issues and offer suggestions and advice--not a forum for people who are marketing a product to speak out in defense of their product.
I will say that my ex was unhappy your product and he did contact you to discuss it at the time.
He either returned it or attempted to return it, but cannot recall specifics--nor should I be asked to.
I will leave it at that and ask that you do the same.

nicolai_g

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:59:40 PM »
but cannot recall specifics--nor should I be asked to.

Actually, you should. You attacked a product without any specifics at all, which is the equivalent to leaving a comment of "this sucks!" or "great DoF!" on a photograph and then defending it as useful criticism, which it isn't. Saying something sucks is valuable--if you explain why. Different people have different needs and expectations, and without details, people can't evaluate whether the problems for your friend will be problems for them. If you don't, it's utterly useless as there's no opportunity to learn anything. I think that if you're going to be this vehement about it, you really ought to have something to back it up.

Finally, why doesn't he have the right to address an unsubstantiated negative comment, particularly when the rules have no prohibition of this whatsoever (while they do against disrespect and intolerance: As with any community good manners, tolerance and respect from members is essential. Be good to each other.)? Do you think it would be fair if I blogged "Lightleaks and the Toy Cam Handbook suck! End of story!" and then slammed you for using the open commenting system to try to resolve my [unstated] problems with them? I don't.

I don't understand why anyone would get so agitated about a manufacturer trying to provide good customer service. He's asking your friend to contact him so he can sort the problem out! We should be encouraging manufacturer behaviour like this rather than squashing it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:11:55 PM by nicolai_g »

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 11:35:49 PM »
but cannot recall specifics--nor should I be asked to.

Actually, you should. You attacked a product without any specifics at all, which is the equivalent to leaving a comment of "this sucks!" or "great DoF!" on a photograph and then defending it as useful criticism, which it isn't. Saying something sucks is valuable--if you explain why. Different people have different needs and expectations, and without details, people can't evaluate whether the problems for your friend will be problems for them. If you don't, it's utterly useless as there's no opportunity to learn anything. I think that if you're going to be this vehement about it, you really ought to have something to back it up.

Finally, why doesn't he have the right to address an unsubstantiated negative comment, particularly when the rules have no prohibition of this whatsoever (while they do against disrespect and intolerance: As with any community good manners, tolerance and respect from members is essential. Be good to each other.)? Do you think it would be fair if I blogged "Lightleaks and the Toy Cam Handbook suck! End of story!" and then slammed you for using the open commenting system to try to resolve my [unstated] problems with them? I don't.

I don't understand why anyone would get so agitated about a manufacturer trying to provide good customer service. He's asking your friend to contact him so he can sort the problem out! We should be encouraging manufacturer behaviour like this rather than squashing it.

Interesting.
Nicolai--I wouldn't give a hoot if you said Lightleaks and the Toy Cam Handbook suck to be honest.

What I do not like is the idea of a manufacturer coming into this forum to discuss there product. Not appropriate in a forum that is for photographers to discuss creative options. And to be specific--I'm not knocking his customer service--but felt I should state that someone I know had problems with the product. Just as anyone else in this forum might do for a fellow member.

If someone knocks and Ilford product, do you see Ilford reps showing up here to defend their product?
If someone says, hey-- this developer is better than this other developer for this reason or another--- do the manufacturers of the first developer show up here crying about how the user is wrong?
Personally, I do know more about this product than I'm writing about.
I felt that it was in good taste not to specify--as I still do. And I will leave it at that.

If Doug want's specifics, he should proceed with this discussion off line.
This is not the place.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:51:54 PM by Susan B. »

nicolai_g

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 02:44:17 AM »
What I do not like is the idea of a manufacturer coming into this forum to discuss there product. Not appropriate in a forum that is for photographers to discuss creative options. And to be specific--I'm not knocking his customer service--but felt I should state that someone I know had problems with the product. Just as anyone else in this forum might do for a fellow member.

As I understand it, this is one guy, not an international corporation. As such, this is more like Randy from Holgamods trying to solve a customer's problem than a regional sales drone from Ilford spewing marketing copy. Even if it were someone from Ilford or Kodak, what's so horrible about a company trying to be responsive and give us what we want?

If someone knocks and Ilford product, do you see Ilford reps showing up here to defend their product?
If someone says, hey-- this developer is better than this other developer for this reason or another--- do the manufacturers of the first developer show up here crying about how the user is wrong?
Personally, I do know more about this product than I'm writing about.
I felt that it was in good taste not to specify--as I still do. And I will leave it at that.

But you didn't do that--you left off the all-important "for one reason or another" part. And he didn't blame the user, he tried to ascertain what the problem was so that he could try to fix it. Is saying something is bad, refusing to explain why, and attacking someone who's trying to resolve your problem with his product really in good taste? Perhaps more importantly, it doesn't help anyone figure out if the product will suit their needs or not--it's simply not reasonable to expect people to act on your unqualified pronouncement.

I'm thinking about buying one of these because I'm dissatisfied with my current MF holder, so I'm genuinely interested in your experience with it. While your response hasn't helped me evaluate this one at all, I'm more inclined to buy because I now know that he stands behind his product.

If Doug want's specifics, he should proceed with this discussion off line.
This is not the place.

Er? It would seem that this is the perfect place since this is where you made it public to begin with, and addressing it here would allow the rest of us to learn something about the product and how he handles the situation, which would likely be valuable to anyone considering this thing (it would to me). I think it's unfortunate that you've made the opposite choice. How does that benefit your fellow members?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »
yes - further discussion should be continued off forum.

locked it is!
L.