Author Topic: When/How did you emerge?  (Read 4686 times)

Aline

• Aline Smithson Photography
When/How did you emerge?
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:26:12 PM »
Hi All--in a couple of months I am teaching a class for "emerging photographers" looking to launch a body of work.  If anyone has a story or suggestion on how your work got greater recognition (though exhibition, publishing,etc), I would love to share your journey. Was there a pivotal moment or image that created more exposure?  What do you think of portfolio reviews?  Anyone been to Rhubarb Rhubarb/Photo Lucida?
Thanks so much, Aline

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Re: When/How did you emerge?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:52:51 AM »
Hi All--in a couple of months I am teaching a class for "emerging photographers" looking to launch a body of work.  If anyone has a story or suggestion on how your work got greater recognition (though exhibition, publishing,etc), I would love to share your journey. Was there a pivotal moment or image that created more exposure?  What do you think of portfolio reviews?  Anyone been to Rhubarb Rhubarb/Photo Lucida?
Thanks so much, Aline

Hey Aline--
I think you know most of my story...Mostly contests and magazines right now--but I'll chat with you next time I see you. Or I'll email you offline.

Gordon S. went to Photo Lucida last time around--And didn't Ken R. ?
Might be worth emailing both of them?

A few FW folks went to fotofest, since several of us were in an exhibition that Laura Burlton hosted--but not sure if anyone did the review? Did anyone here go to the fotofest Meeting Place?

I know David Bennett is doing several shows in the UK--might be worth getting his Brit perspective on the emerging thing. Currently, he's dashing up and down California in a rental car. I think I'll see him next week so I'll ask him if he can shed any light on this one.

Leon? Any light you can shed? Leon has done some shows and mags---speak up Leon. :)

Chat with you later, Aline.  :)

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »
I would say I am still "emerging" :) BUT you have to make it happen for yourself. You have to submit to all kinds of things, publications, juried shows... have your portfolio nicely packaged with a website as well, resume, artists statement. Dont be afraid for people to reject you. Also having a fair bit of extra cash helps because most juried shows cost money to enter. I have also hired an art consultant to help me on my way.
I have been in a few juried shows and I throw my own happenings as well as I have my own space to do so, like the toy joy show and I also showcase the artwork of others in my salon as well as my own. This gets all sorts of people in the door to look at all of our artwork. Join photographic societies, scan the web for opportunity and post all over the place to get yourself seen. Its not easy but it is fun and hopefully will be worth it someday :)

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 05:33:36 PM »
Hey Aline--

Reading Laura's comments reminded me...

Forgot the working with Mary Virginia Swanson element.
Amazing woman--really helpful to have her guidance.
I highly suggest any "emerging" folks to see her speak or meet with her if they can afford it.

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:49:03 PM »
Yea, I have heard Mary Virginia Swanson is great.