Author Topic: Review - Modified Ricoh R 1  (Read 23342 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Review - Modified Ricoh R 1
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:28:53 AM »
A little while ago, I was looking for a small p&s type 35mm that would fit into my pocket.  the Ricoh GR-1 seemed like a good option but it still sells for reasonably high prices, and I was looking for a bargain.  I stumbled across the Ricoh R1 on ebay whilst mooching around - did some research and realised it was just the job:

The camera is totally automatic with only a programme mode,night mode or infinity mode to choose between (other than the usual p&s flash options).  There are indicators in the viewfinder to let you know which of the 7 autofocus zones the camera has selected.  The camera includes one of the most pointless features ever to appear on 35mm cameras - the panoramic option where the camera adds in  a supplementary wide lens, but then cuts off the top and bottom of the frame wasting about 1/3 - 1/2 of the image.  It was a common feature on cameras of similar age, but pointless none the less.  This is also the camera's saving grace as a reasonably easy modification can be made to disable the plastic masks that form the letter box and, hey presto, you have a point and shoot with an optional full frame wide angle lens.  There is a compromise to be made though. As you'll see from the pics below, there is a slight image distortion around the corners and also  serious light fall off - but that's not such a bad thing now is it?  I havent tried this with colour yet, but I'm guessing it's going to have a marked Lomo LC-A feel to it.

In standard mode, the camera is excellent, exposure seems spot-on in all conditions and, as is to be expected, the lens is up to the usual high Ricoh standard.  here are some examples:

This is in standard lens mode.

with wide option

standard/wide comparison taken from same spot

Finally, wide shooting into the light - auto metering worked well, but hefty flare (as expected).

All in all, it's an excellent little light camera that does a more than competent job without me having to think about anything other than composing.  Well worth the ?4.99 I paid.

full spec details can be found here: http://www.ricoh.co.uk/35mmCameras/r1.htm

and details on the wide-angle modification here:  http://www.lumika.org/gear_ricoh_r1.htm

Film - hp5+ developed in d-23

All neg scans and not very exciting shots but they serve a purpose :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:52:51 AM by Skorj »
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Modified Ricoh R 1
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
A purpose indeed! Great stuff in fact. Love that wide, and the vignette. Like these Leon B&Ws too of course. Interested to see the color too! More! Skj.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:26:55 PM by Skorj »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »
How about this baby too then?

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »
WTF!  what is that?
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »
WTF!  what is that?

AND, still cheaper than a GR-1!!!! Amazing eh. The streets are paved with gold R1s these days...

Does the plain jane R1 have THREE pano settings too? Wide-pano, and normal pano? Or, is that an `S` feature? I wonder if the case parts are interchangeble? My GR-1 looks decidedly working class after getting a Captains of this gold kitten.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:26:12 AM by Skorj »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »
Waterproof case. Gray and green too! What be next? One for every day of the week! Who needs a Fujipet? Ha!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 01:02:54 AM by Skorj »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »
not bad, not bad at all. i see these on ebay for around $40. i have my natura, but i may have to grab one someday. something a little more beatupable.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:31:58 PM »
A little while ago, I was looking for a small p&s type 35mm that would fit into my pocket.  the Ricoh GR-1 seemed like a good option but it still sells for reasonably high prices, and I was looking for a bargain.  I stumbled across the Ricoh R1 on ebay whilst mooching around - did some research and realised it was just the job:

Leon, I've been doing similar research myself, looking for something compact to take out when the other 'big guys' won't cut it. I also considered the Ricoh GR-1 after seeing one a friend of mine owned, but passed because of the price. This definitely gives me another option to consider, though I am thinking I will miss the manual settings... how did it manage in low-light?

Great post and photos!

-Jason

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »
Looks sweet...
Is there many detection sensors for the DX setting? (or is it one of those ISO 100/400 jobs?)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
low light is fine Jason - worth getting one considering how cheap they are - and it fits into a shirt pocket!

Francois - it's fully DX'd up!
L.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »
Looks sweet...
Is there many detection sensors for the DX setting? (or is it one of those ISO 100/400 jobs?)

ISO 50 - 3200. DX auto set. Non DX films are set to ISO 100.

Not sure, but I believe it's the GR1v that allows for manual ISO setting on non-DX films or to push or pull...

-Jason

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
or you can use some of those DX stickers - anyone know if they're still made?
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:16:36 PM »
skorj - the plain r 1 also has the 2 different pano settings, but when the mod is done, the middle option is redundant
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 10:09:26 PM »
Grrr!! Druid, you know I'm halfway between stations on the 'not buying anything for a year' express at the moment, so why post something as irresponsible as this on a public forum where there's a good chance that I'll see it and have to buy one as a result?

>:( :( :o ;D

This would be a worthy replacement for Jacqui's creaky old Canon Sureshot Z90W...I like everything about it. Hmmm.

Now,what's the URLfor evilBay again?

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »
There is a compromise to be made though. As you'll see from the pics below, there is a slight image distortion around the corners and also  serious light fall off - but that's not such a bad thing now is it? 

Just noticed this bit of shilly-shallying from the originalpost. Any more fence-sitting of this nature and Damion and I will send the boys round. More distortion please. More vignetting please. What's not to like? If I didn't know you better....

:D :D :D :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 10:33:23 PM »
My mind is so full of cameras I want to find at church bazaars that it's going to explode!

( :( envious...)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 10:25:53 AM »
There's more! It seems the R1 can be modded for wide without pano blinds via blocking one of the holes detailed here:

Details (in Japanese) can be found here: Penguin 19's Compact Cameras.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:27:39 AM by Skorj »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Review - Modified Ricoh R 1
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 12:32:24 PM »
ok - that looks  a lot easier than the method i used
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 01:54:07 PM »
ok - that looks  a lot easier than the method i used

Not sure it is what it seems though. I will have to buy one and fiddle to find out. From yours does it look like jamming something into one of these holes would stop the blind operation?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 02:09:46 PM »
I cant tell as the blind operation no longer works cos I've disabled it - looks like you need to buy one !  Mine was 4.99 gbp - about 8.50 usd.  dirt cheapo
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 10:17:23 AM »
Roger, wilco.

I might try and see if the 24mm lens fits on my GR1 too. Imagine that - me pulling them apart to try and do that...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »
Finally picked up one of these on evilBay for about GBP20. Now looking into getting hold of the right type of battery and performing one of the modifications to stop the 'blinds' operation.

Nice feel to the cam though. Very light and slim.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 03:34:22 PM »
interesting! I remember letting one of those rollei prego cameras slip a good while ago. should've snapped it up ;D
/jonas

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 01:08:19 AM »
we have one of these before. it was a great shooter but really wanting to use it right now discreet street photography. unfortunately it is beyond repair here in Manila as the electronics to the shutter is broken and parts are needed to fix it.